Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling all 996 C2 drivers

les windows

I have had my 03 C2 for 5 months and generally very happy. However when I first bought the car I found I have a slight rocking of the steering wheel particularly on motorways. Feels like out of balance wheels.

My OPC have been pretty good, they have took the car back twice collecting it from home, and re balanced and checked everything and then came out to my home with a mechanic and we all went for a drive. They then drove customers car in for service and said that this felt the same on that C2. The concencus seems to be that it is sensitive to road surface variations. I'm inclined to believe them but find the rocking sensation a bit annoying.

Do any other C2 drivers have this same feel on motorways ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51513

Have you had the geometry checked out, as well as balancing the wheels?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51531

Les I had exactly the same on my first 996, and in the end it annoyed me so much, that I purchased a 993

My C4S, 996 is not like that, I tried everything with my first 996, balancing the wheels, new brake disks, new wheels, and in the end gave up.

Obviously I tried all diffrent tyre pressures.

One thing that was suggested to me was that the vibration was from the engine going through the car, mine was like an up and down rocking.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51533

Yes mine was like that - that's the trademark twitchy steering - once you get used to it its not a problem just a rather strange sensation at first. Its telling you exactly what the road is, whch to be honest is what you should want in a sportscar. 4s do not have this problem and feel more sure-footed but correspondingly I don't think they are as much fun (have had two C2s in the past and will go that way again next year)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51534

Interesting point tim, re the C4, never thought of that,

however the 993 didnt suffer from it, I only sold that cos I had killed the gearbox, brake disks, pistons, tyres, exhaust, and it was becoming a costly hoby tracking the old girl.

Daz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51554

My 99 C2 is rock solid...althought it has the M030 sports chassis thingy so maybe that makes a difference?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51555

I think someone has already posted saying it is much worse on the C2s with 18" tyres. Aparently the 17" do not suffer so much!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51668

Mine behaves like this all the time. Its normal, you get used to it after a while, and it becomes less of a fight. You certainly get to know exactly what the road surface is doing with feedback like that, and it makes a 996 Tip more interesting to drive :D

I was told that the cars with 18" wheels are more prone to this than previous models.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51693

I haven't noticed it on my C2 Cab with 18's........although occassionally it does pull to one side a little more than expected......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51694

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 31 March 2006

I haven't noticed it on my C2 Cab with 18's........although occassionally it does pull to one side a little more than expected......
Try taking it out on some country roads!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51706

Guys thanks I'm reassured that theres nothing wrong, I am on 17 inch wheels and was thinking about upgrading to 18's will probably not do this in case it makes it worse.

Suppose I could always wear padded gloves !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51716

By the way cant fault the OPC for responsing in the way they did, in fact shorly after buying there was some confusion about when my next service was due which turned out to be 8 weeks after I bought the car. I complained and they duly did the minor service at no cost.

It was what I expected but I felt their response was good

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51718

Porsche Approved Used Car Guideline state the car is serviced before sale if a service is due within 3 months or 3000 miles

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51733

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back