Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RMS when does it occur?

LOL at Butzi :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51149

turbo's and gt 2 and 3 have 993 type bottom ends on them so very unusual to see them leak. when a 993 engine leaks oil it usually means it needs a reseal which is a huge job but thankfully doesnt happen that often.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51150

the service manager at my OPC told me not to worry too much about it!!! :?
.......should i be worried then???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51151

Well I'm glad we cleared that up then. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51152

Hey Daz, the RMS was the one thing that put me off the 996. I am collecting my 993 C4S today, done 66K and no sign of RMS from 'Guru' Morgan. I think if its proper porsche your after then the 993 RS is the one pending the lining of your pocket.

I hope the fact that we are now officially in British Summer consoles your feelings towards your motor.

Good luck.

Nishal

PS If you are down in the South East, Surrey side, Fancy a round of 18 holes?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51153

My 99 C2 996 has now done 69k and never had an RMS issue.... yet......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51154

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

On a personal level it has put me right off the car, as it isnt solved by replacement of the seal.It only stops it for 1000 - 40000 miles.I am now seriously considering going back to a 993C2 with a moded head from Ninemister and moded suspension/brakes or possibly a 993 RS or a 964RS.Not sure at the moment, but I am dissapointed, I dont want to be looking over my garage floor for bloody oil leaks all the time from a £50k car.Daz.
It's sad that you should feel like this - but if you are not happy tell porsche. I would still keep it for a while and keep getting it fixed under warranty (at least you know you'll be getting your monies worth :wink: ).

Try not to make any rash decisions - except in the case of the GT2 - that just makes sense!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51155

Rodders,

My 993 had a small leak which was "nothing to worry about" until it escalated and was hemmoraging mobil1 all over the shop - next stop OPC for a £2.5k bill - big hairy ones!! The leak gets worse without you noticing as the oil gathers in the under tray.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51167

Interestingly - it says in that thread that the tiptronics rarly have the rms problem (hope I have not jinxed myself) when compared with the manuals. I didn't know that - but will certainly be spouting it when I come to sell the car! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51183

just thinking about this, after reading the link to the porkers.co.uk link.

If theres a manufacturers fault to with a car then it should be recalled or atleast fixed for free on an individual case by case basis.

Just recently watchdog got some action regarding the Audi TT dashpod whereby the dash would go completely nuts.

Therefore, to anyone who has had the RMS fail and can prove it with a bill showing the costs or anyone that is currently having RMS issues please let us know on here, watchdog complained to Audi UK and got them all fixed for free. Can't we do something similar? I haven't got RMS issues on mine but looking at the posts on here and everywhere else I assume I will incurr the issues one day.

If theres enough people then there's enough power, Porsche won't like the bad press watchdog gives.

I'll quite happily head it up, all we need is names, bills, registrations and a write up of each case and how it was solved.

On another note, i'm sure I saw an advert that Autofarm can actually fix the RMS issue once and for all? I think they redesigned something.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51189

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Dunc on 28 March 2006

Rodders,

My 993 had a small leak which was "nothing to worry about" until it escalated and was hemmoraging mobil1 all over the shop - next stop OPC for a £2.5k bill - big hairy ones!! The leak gets worse without you noticing as the oil gathers in the under tray.

Dunc

thats the thing the oil level on the dipstick hasn't dropped down anything if at all(yes i'm doing the level ground/engine at op temp/idle for 30 secs routine) when ive had it on the ramp its just landing on the anti-roll bar(i think its that) and i'm only getting a drip on the floor of the garage every 3rd day or so and then just the size of a 5p..........does that sound similar to yours?????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51207

Went down to JZ today and was told by them to a do RMS on a GT3 would cost about £350

Sorry to rain on the parade but GT2/3s and turbos all can suffer from this problem however they are very rare Steve from JZ has seen only 1 MK1 GT3 suffer with this problem so far, but as he said to me "the mk1s are now getting on 6 years old and some have high mileage due to track time" and hes only seen 1 so that ain't bad!!

Reason i asked him this and about the RMS cost issue is im thinking about not renewing my ext warrant as its not worth the paper its written on! Hatfield OPC is my closest by far and iv never heard anything good said about this OPC, and when i did take it in under warranty for the roll cage to be fixed they said they would investigate..fine but not for flipping £100 an hour you not!!

Steve assures me mechanically the 3 is bullet proof, no engine he knows of has ever let go and gearbox problems are only associated with severe abuse. Everything else is wear and tear items when it comes down to it, there's no guarantee any work would be done completely under ext warranty anyway.

So i would rather save myself the £750 for the time being and build up a good working relationship with the guys at JZ after all they know more about the GT3 than the whole of Hatfield OPC put together!!

Only thing to consider is when i come to sell it one day some poor git may not realise what a waste of time the ext warranty it is and will insist on it before buying the car..

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51212

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back