Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

heat smell

And dont forget a heavy right foot, I think it weighs approx 4 stone, ohh and superglue underneath it.

Daz :D :lol: :twisted: 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51242

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Richard Eff on 28 March 2006

"You smell that? Do you smell that? Hot exhaust, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of hot exhaust in the morning."
& napalm obviously - :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51254

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Speed Freak on 28 March 2006

Rob, when have you ever minced through the box. :wink:
However one day you will kill the gearbox on your 3, so youd better hang on to the wtty. :twisted:
You just havent the will power, or the fear to stop yourself.And I mean that in the nicest possible way 8)
Daz

Daz i have thought about this a bit, and Steve from JZ who is without doubt one of the best most reliable sources of info regarding the GT3 in the UK, told me that unless i really abuse the box it will be fine, and thinking about it why would an OPC replace a box that has been abused anyway?? (wear and tear issues again!!) And even if i did have to replace the box (which is very unlikely), by JZ they could do the job for under 3k with a much better stronger box than standard!!

So im thinking instead of getting an older track focused car like a 993 with all the inherent problems you get with an older car, which i was considering.. I'll stick with my 3 and fark to the warranty!! The talk i had with JZ today has really helped me with this decision iv made, as far as im concerned, im never going to an OPC again.

If someone here has had a positive experience at an OPC with ext warranty other than with RMS issue, and especially at Hatfield please let me know

Thanks

...rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51289

Stevo - let me get this right - when you come up to a red light, you never change down through the gears while braking and then brake to finally stop the car. You just drive up to the light and then dip the clutch and brake ?

What about corners - do you cruise round them in whatever gear you were in before the corner arrived? you never change down while braking?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51697

When I learning to drive an HGV I was taught that you must take off all your speed with the brakes. I was told it was far more efficient and less expensive maintainence wise.

Now I'm back in a manual car I'm trying my best to master the heel'n'toe braking method which is proving difficult. Have all you guys mastered it yet ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51736

I practiced it on a knacked old Beetle first, as the pedals arrangements are very similar to a 993, it made it much easier to do on a 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51739

Stevo - let me get this right - when you come up to a red light, you never change down through the gears while braking and then brake to finally stop the car. You just drive up to the light and then dip the clutch and brake ?

What about corners - do you cruise round them in whatever gear you were in before the corner arrived? you never change down while braking?
---------------------------------------------
You just drive up to the light and then dip the clutch and brake. Then put the handbrake on then select neutral.
Changing down through the gears is pointless and distracts from paying attention to the hazards present at the junction.

Bends..
You select the correct gear for smooth and powerful acceleration prior to the bend - but use the brakes to slow down.

Further reading here....
"Roadcraft - Police drivers handbook"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51793

I have been driving for 25+ years and I have always used the gears (and brakes) to slow down (whether to eventually stop or get to the right speed for a corner). I have always doubled the clutch to ensure that the engine speed matches the correct gear. I learnt to drive in an old land rover on a farm that had no synchromesh, so there was no alternative but to dtc! Not sure I could change now as it is so ingrained in my driving style. Bit worried now that this may be putting more strain on the gear box - but still don't really understand why it should. :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52940

Stevo - I kind of agree with what your saying, you should downshift into second at 60 mph, putting the revs up to 6000 just to slow the car down. Common sense saying this is probably not a good idea and anyway it hurts the neck after a while.

However, downshifting during braking is perfectly sensible. In fact it is so sensible that my Tiptronic gearbox does it! But as you say this helps the smoothness of the ride and helps to be in the right gear if you choose to accelerate off again!

But since I don't have gears to worry about - I'm not going to worry about it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52950

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back