Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first boxster - Advice

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nick Cohen on 01 April 2006

can you also tell me what facelift means...is this a car that has been in a crash??
Wasn't sure if you were teasing with that one Nick - a bit of boxster revenge! :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51852

just bought my second porsche and first 911 in december a 993 c2 cabroliet disagree with previous post i could have bought a 996 coupe or 993 targa/coupe with my cash but opted for the 993 cab as i love the open top wind in your hair motoring that a coupe/targa cant deliver imho ( and yes i know a targa has a good bash at it ) but its all down to personal taste.

Nick, the 993 cab roof is fully electric hood cover hides the roof nicely and a wind deflector will reduce the wind noise greatly its also the nicest looking Porsche the company ever produced.

Anyway there is no decision to be made as you wont get a 993 cab/targa for sub 20k unless its a shed, rough left hooker high mileage car , or cat D repaired none of which i would touch. ( high mileage cars can be ok if properly looked after )

Driven loads of boxters they are good cars and make a great introduction to Porsche motoring i would not touch a 2.5 as every hot hatch in your area will be waving at you as they pass you, so go for a 2.7 or even better a 3.2 the 3.2 is by a mile the better car make sure you buy one with as many options as you can afford i.e air con lux pack etc etc as this will help you with resale oh yes and interior/exterior colour is also very important re re-sale black with red leather silver with red leather always sell quicker.

One last thing if you buy a Boxter i guarentee in 8 to 12 months time you will want a 911,personally if i had 20k to spend on a Porsche i would by a 911 3.2 supersport cab you will get a really good one of those for 15-20k and these look the dogs bollox, the only downside to older 911's is the interior but you can always jazz this up with a bit of aluminium here and there,and the roof aint fully electric and can leak water.Just make sure whatever you buy its got a full service history buy on condition,dont let your heart rule your head ( they all look good on a garage forecourt ) and if you dont know your cars get it inspected by a pro.

look on autotrader,ebay, and buy the porsche monthly mags,theres also some good Porsche Independent garages out there.oh and dont forget this website.

good luck

Walt 993 c2 cab

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51885

Nick

My advice if you want a boxster go for it but as a minimum get a 2.7 and if poss push for a 3.2.

However if you feel that a 911 is really in your long term view, I would strongly recommend that you consider a LHD. Ive been driving mine for 15 months its my first 911 and my first LHD car.

I have had ZERO issues with it being LHD, its how they were designed of course and for ALL trips I do its perfectly ok to be sitting on the wrong side!! For me it was the only way I was going to get into the car I wanted (ie 911 993) at the money I wanted to spend.

Any future 911 (or to be honest any future car that just I drive) will be LHD whilst the savings are there.

Last point Insurance is no diff LHD v RHD in my experience.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52032

Have to get a new car for work.

Part of me wishes I had waited and got a LHD 996 turbo. BUt then I wouldn't have had so much fun over the last few months.

Not sure about a LHD for every day though - must be a real pain at McDonald's! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52059

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 03 April 2006
Not sure about a LHD for every day though - must be a real pain at McDonald's!

Cant say I requent such establishments. But I do go to the airport most weeks and once you remember to move the seat beat connector out of the way (cost me one pair of jeans!!) sliding across to get the ticket at the barrier is no prob.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 52065

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back