Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 engine noise 2.7L

Niall Power

Hi

I purchased a 2.7L 911 recently, not being familiar with air cooler 6 cylinder engines I am rather concerned about what the normal start up and running noises are for this engine.

When I fire it up there is a audible knocking noise (about 2 knocks per second ticking over) which gets quieter as the engine heats up, but is still audible when warm. Is it normal for these engines to sound this rough or could it be a problem with one con-rod as I suspect?? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for the advice.

Niall

Migration info. Legacy thread was 46055

Have you tried adjusting the valves? How many km since a top overhaul? Change spark plugs? Check fan belt tension? Most engines do make more noise when cold and air cooled Porsche engines especially. Mine does (88 3.2 Carrera).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 47396

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back