Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clunking noise - Steering/Wheels??

Martyn1

Barcelona
Guys

Ever since it turned cold (November) Ive noticed a sort of clunking/bumping feeling from the steering/wheels when on full lock. This pretty much coincided with new front suspension (OEM) fitted at Northways.

I took it back to Northways and they did a solid look over, identified that I had a recent new steering rack (good), that the suspension struts were in place correctly (good) that there was no problem with the bushes/wishbones (good) no wheel bearing issues (good). But they couldnt find the problem (*****!!). Since then Ive not been driving much - new job in London- but its still there, doesnt seem to impact drive and handling but Im worried. I will and can take it back to Northways, but wondered if anybody here has any ideas? Could it be alignment, I wouldnt have thought this would show as a low speed (full lock) issue plus Nways advised me that I didnt need to have it realigned following the new struts as they has taken care to keep it in line. Re-reading that last bit (re alignment) it sounds a bit 'soft' but I do trust them.

Anyway any help appreciated.

Thanks

Martyn

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43207

If it was me, I'd have the alignment done and if that cured it, I'd take that up with Northways. The potential bad publicity for them would soften their iews on re-imbursing you - how many owners here in their catchment area?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43220

have you checked to see if your tyres are rubbing against the plastic cover inside the wheel arch. i have this problem at the moment, only at full lock and need to have the plastic heated and re-moulded to allow clearance space for the tyre.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43247

Simon

Yes Ive checked this and its clear.

Looks like I should try re-alignment

Migration info. Legacy thread was 43281

Well, I eventually got round to having the 4 wheel alignment done (as I said earlier Im barely using the car at the moment)by Tognola in Datchet.

Seems the aligment was out by a huge amount, so much for the assertion from Northways, I have to say I'm really quite disappointed with them as I totally trusted thier judgement.

Additionally I was shown cracks in the rubbers in the wishbones, so had these repleaced too.

End result a different car. With the new struts, new wishbones and wheels aligned it feels great.

All I have to do now is buy new tyres to replace the ones that the poor aligment has ruined!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51860

Martyn, thanks for the update, which part of the tyres worn out - inside or outside?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51865

Assuming thats not a joke (inside the tyre??) the outer edges on the fronts.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51897

Martyn, I would be seeking a contribution from Northways towards new tyres.

"Nways advised me that I didnt need to have it realigned following the new struts as they has taken care to keep it in line." Was that their idea of a joke??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51932

Glad to hear it's fixed Martyn, now for that phone call to Northways. I can't see how they could keep it accurately "in line" if they replaced suspension parts. Bear in mind that alignment is checked with a lazer and not a chalk mark or a piece of masking tape to make sure they screw the bits in to the same position.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51947

I would definately take it up with N'way. It's an absolutely rediculous suggestion that you can have shocks / sunpension work done without alignment at least being checked afterward!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 51974

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back