Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New porsche models - Cayman RS :O

smtk

Paul Ricard
NEWS LINK

Previous poster said:
Quote: Porsche Cayman RS by 2008?

Porsche's share price and profits are down, following the money it spent buying 20 per cent of VW, and the cash it's pouring into developing its upcoming GT, the Panamera. In spite of that, Stuttgart is preparing a raft of new models to keep us entertained -- and sales up.

According to Autocar, which spoke recently with Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking, the 911 Turbo Cabriolet has been spotted on test in South Africa, while the 911 Turbo Targa and 911 GT3 are well-advanced in their development. There are even rumours of the much-mooted entry-level Cayman -- not that much of a surprise, given that Porsche launched the S variant first.

Further out could be a stripped-out Cayman RS for 2008 to fill in the gap as sales of the by-then established 997 and Boxster start to slow.

There are even hints that the company would like to revisit the Mercedes 500E and Audi RS2 projects, which saw Porsche building high-performance variants of those companies' vehicles. And given that Porsche now owns a chunk of VW, it's a distinct possibility. Fancy a Porsche-tweaked Golf R32?

Oh yes, and the Cayenne is being updated to make it look just a little bit less ugly.

OOOOOOOoooooooo....... Cayman RS GIMMIE GIMMIE

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40706

I love the look of the cayman, so the RS sounds great, wonder how they will price it.

Also, any ideas of what engine they would put in it. Surely it would be as powerful as the 997 S?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40708

maybe i doesnt need to be as powerful - if its stripped out then it could still have the same power (or maybe 10bhp more) as the regular Cayman, but it would of course be quicker etc.

That way 911 owners wouldnt fell too bad.

The Cayman rs would have to be marketed as a "hard core" type of car for this to work of course, otherwise there would be a product overlap.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40714

I don't think it'll happen for the simple reason that it would outperform the flagship 911...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40715

have only sat in the cayman and I have to admit it does feel nice and modern, but not for me and especially not at that kind of money..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40718

For me the reason the 911 will allways be number one is small but important, many cars have fab performance, handling and value,

fewer have looks, following, history, heritage

Fewer still have practicallaty, reliablity, fab residuals

a handful have sex appeal, kudos, and the wow factor

however only one has back seats, and that is why for me the Cayman will never be a replacement for a 911.

Name one other car that you flog on a 10 mile run and then pick your kids up from school in, not the Boxster or cayman.

Fab cars but not a 911,

Daz.

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40723

Porsche had tried again and again to replace the 911, non worked no matter how good the cars were. At the end of the day, 911 has become more than just a bl**dy good car. The only car that can replace a 911 is a new 911! And Porsche knows that!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40744

Porsche are automotive gods, they nearly got rid of the 911 with 928 in the late 70's and thankfully thought better of it.

I find it Ironice that the one gap in the market currentley filled by Porsche sports cars is the one left by the 944/968 as a lower priced allternative to a 911 with all the practacality.

Daz.

C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40749

The only car I can think of with similar charisma and four seats is an M3 CSL.

Interesting thought Darren- imagine Porsche building a true M3 competitor (i.e. four seats, under 50k with options...)

Funny though, was just out and about in the local town, and heard the most fabulous engine sound... as one does, stopped to see what it was... and a 928 GTS appeared around the corner.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40840

They cant because of the brand, and because times have moved on Subaru and Mitshubshi have the performance and handling for shuch small money.

Daz.
C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40841

although this months EVO they are raving about the M3 CS, better than the CSL !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40842

The M3 is an a fab car, have driven many miles in both the old ones 97 model and 2003 model, the only prob I have found with the bmw's is that they feel heavy and remote in comparison to a well set up 911.

Daz.
C4S

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40844

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by darren james on 22 December 2005

They cant because of the brand, and because times have moved on Subaru and Mitshubshi have the performance and handling for shuch small money.Daz.C4S
On the other hand, they've gotten away well with the Cayenne (a Porsche SUV?? ye gods!) so actually, a premium M3-sized four seat coupe might be plausible once the Panamera is established... with the VW connection, platform sharing would make it viable and it would appear that Porsche are really looking to ramp up volumes...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40851

Cayman is strangely priced in my opinion. If I had the money for a Cayman, I would stretch it to a 2nd hand 997.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40866

I think the cayman is all wrong on price it should either had much more as standard or be 9 grand cheaper

Shame i find my self loving the car only to get slapped back to reality when i see the price

Previous poster said:
Quote:
The only car that can replace a 911 is a new 911

Agree'd thats why they should of called the cayman the new 911 and given it the full fat parts

Migration info. Legacy thread was 40867

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back