Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rust

Marc Rogers

Good'ay,All

I've recently bought an 1984 Carrera, this is my first Porsche and its been a long time dream to own one of these cars. Ever since I was 15 years of age I would drool over the 911 and spend plenty a Sunday afternoons checking out dealerships in the hope I may get to test drive one, (never happend). For the last couple of months I've been using my 911 on a daily basis commuting to work and weekend drives. I have enjoyed the drive and so far has proven to be very reliable, but While I was washing inside the petrol lid I discovered some nasty corrosion deep in the well, I suspect possibly the drain may have become blocked over time and as a result started this. I will be getting the rust removed before the winter, but I was surprised to see rust, should'nt the galvanised body prevent this from happening???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33645

Galvanising will put off the dreaded rust, often for a long time but won't stop it for ever, particularly if there is something "attacking" that bit of steel like water sitting there. Mine gets water sitting under the seals at the bottom edges of the front and rear screen after a wash, which I remove because, if it sits there, it'll rust out eventually.

May I suggest you also check your car in the arches in the front of rear wheels. That's a regular rust spot where dirt collects, gets damp and stays damp for some time! Also, take out your headlamps and have a look inside your front wings. :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33653

Thanks Lawrence, I had a feeling the drain may have been blocked, My particular car was a one owner car, which was a friend who was fanatical with this car. I know for a fact there was no damage history. He upgraded to a 993, I had been waiting for years for him to sell it. I'll post some pictures soon. Thanks again, I'm new to the forum and look forward learning as much as possible about these fine vehicles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33672

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back