Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayman - Newbie

uuf361

Ok, so I'm new to the Porsche scene......I have wanted one since I was little and promised myself that by the time I was 30 I'd have a 911.......weell a few extra years working overseas has stoppped that but just after I turn 31 I'll be picking up my brand new Cayman.........

Considered a 'pre-enjoyed' (my term for used!) 911 (996) but decided I was not willing to part with £50K+ for something that would most likely come without a warranty unless I bought from the OPC..........

What am I letting myself in for and am I making the wrong first move into the marque with a brand new model ?

Any advice greatly appreciated and whether positive or negative gratefully received.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32996

Nike - Just Do It!

It might be a new model but everything in it will be well tested! I wouldn't worry at all! All cars can have little glitches in them - but nothing major I'm sure! Be sure to post pics when you get it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32997

Mark Pearce sells good cars with a full Porsche warranty and he's not an OPC - i'm also quite sure he could find you one for less than 50k.......................................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33025

I'm in exactly the same position buying a Cayman, my first porsche - a life long dream realised (well nearly as I'd prefer a 911...)

I tried and failed to negotiate any discount from the dealership :(
so I'm hoping that it will be worth every penny.

What optional extras have you specified?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33027

I have been contacted by my OPC saying that due to my high position on the waiting list I could have one in December but have opted for my original planned delivery date of March 1 for various reaons....

Discount, I didn't even try knowing it would be fruitless...I too would have preferred a 911 but am now happy with the choice I made as it's a nice compromise and a brand new car too.............

Options, none specified as yet as my OPC tells me the official list and prices are not out yet but will be similar to Boxster/911, so I have selected from those and will probably end up with the following:

Bi-Xenons, 19inch Sport Design wheels (as featured in the brochure bcos I think they look soooooooo good), Park Assist, Heated Seats, Cruise, Rear Wiper (if available), Full leather should be included (otherwise a must)......still toying with the Sat-Nav, mostly bcos I want the multi function wheel which is not available on its own and want to see what the dash looks like without it......sure there will be some others too, like coloured wheel crests etc.........

You should by now be able to get some sort of indication from your OPC on delivery as they seem to know what's coming in and roughly when for the first few months.

So what options are you picking Ian........I too am hoping it is worth all my hard earned cash.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33033

Porsche issued the full MY06 options list for the Cayman a couple of weeks ago, it is similar to the Boxster - but does have the model specific (e.g. rear wiper) items - you should ask your dealer to send it to you.

My dealership has so far failed to build up any loyalty with them, so unless they change their act I may look elsewhere for the next Porsche that I buy.

Like you I was not expecting to recieve the car until spring next year, but having been given the option I have decided to go for one of the first to be imported - other wise the works car park will be full of Cayman's before mine's even built.

For options, I have specified metalic (seal) paint, climate control, cruise control, heated seats, CD changer, BOSE sound system and the Bi-Xenons. The dealer hasn't been able to pin point the precise week that it will arrive yet, but I'm anticipating December.

Will let you know how I get on...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33053

cruise control..... save the money or go for a 'fancy' option, as it does nothing for the car and future resale.... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33054

I personally started with a 993 to figure out whether the dream car is up to the high standards years of dreaming can build up(it is, but it took me two months of driving and a couple of laps at Silverstone to figure that out).

A new car will lose 40% of its value during the first three years if driven as a daily driver while the older cars are depricating very slowly.

I'm sure the Cayman is a fabulous car and a dream come true, but if it's years of savings we're talking about here I think an early 996 would be a safer bet, just as much fun, not new but still modern and for half the cost.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33060

i agree sundeep - cruise control in the uk is farily useless..............................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33068

Perhaps I'll ditch the cruise control then, although looks like I may have to fork out for the full climate control instead.

Anyone got an opinion on the satnav/steering wheel option.....I've had muti-function, e.g. stereo and computer, steering wheels for a few years now and having to manually change the radio seems a little odd but I don't really need to sat nav and it sounds like a lot of cash (c.£2.2K) to spend just to avoid changing the radio manually..........

Called my OPC again this morning and they are adamant that the options list is not yet finalised so I will have to wait although am not too anxious.........

No danger of my car park being full of 'em so not worried about the extra wait.......

I'm not sure the dealers look to build up a lot of loyalty since the cars sell themselves................

Although an early 996 is an option, I've been looking recently just to check out and haven't been able to find anything I would consider for less than about £35K and these were 99/00 cars with more mileage than I really want.....I also like the security (although I appreciate it's not fullproof) of the warranty and also am quite specific about some of the options I want and, given the amount I'm spending, I'm not willing to compromise on some of those. So in the end I figured it would be best to get something new and although the 997 is not out of my price bracket, just thought I'd try the Cayman first..........

I appreciate it will lose a fair chunk of cash in the first 3 years but it will be my everyday car so that's to be expected and it's only money, I can always earn some more..... :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33069

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by uuf361 on 31 August 2005

Anyone got an opinion on the satnav/steering wheel option.....I've had muti-function, e.g. stereo and computer, steering wheels for a few years now and having to manually change the radio seems a little odd but I don't really need to sat nav and it sounds like a lot of cash (c.£2.2K) to spend just to avoid changing the radio manually..........
I appreciate it will lose a fair chunk of cash in the first 3 years but it will be my everyday car so that's to be expected and it's only money, I can always earn some more..... :)
they are useful, but not at the cost.... and it's not like the cabin is that big ! consider such an option as an 'extra' luxury.. as the function is already there...

again, the saving you make could be put towards 'another' new extra

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33079

I agree a multi funtion wheel is very useful, mine it turns left and right, although not at the same time, and makes beeping noises when pressed. :wink:

S.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33081

Excellent :wink:

I was rather hoping mine would change the radio station too!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33235

First post so Hello all !!!

Is there any chance the options list for the Cayman can be published on this site or a link to it ??? Getting any sort of info in Thailand is a bit of a mission (and the small matter of 100% import tax that is going to make it over 90k...!)

Incidentally anyone think it'll look good in Maritime blue from the 964 RS ?? (and what do you reckon they'll charge me for the privilege??) I intend to keep the car for years so I'm not that bothered about "resale spec".....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 33618

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back