Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking of a 993

Toby Low

Hi all, I am thinking of upgrading from my 1986 3.2 Targa to a 993 C2 (non Targa). Does anyone have any advice on what I should look out for. I was thinking of making 911 Virgins (where I bought the 3.2) my first port of call - any decent alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Toby

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31748

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toby Low on 25 July 2005

I was thinking of making 911 Virgins (where I bought the 3.2) my first port of call - any decent alternatives?

Thanks in advance,

Toby
Dont ask Henry about the Mileage :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31750

Northway?

no need to ask him about the mileage, cos he advertises it - :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31752

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Hendo on 25 July 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toby Low on 25 July 2005

I was thinking of making 911 Virgins (where I bought the 3.2) my first port of call - any decent alternatives?

Dont ask Henry about the Mileage :wink:

No ! ask him about Mileage and the fact you want a specific interior and exterior colour, just like any normal buyer !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31760

yeah - drive him nuts by being a "difficult customer"

LOL - :twisted:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31761

Hi Toby,

I think the best thing will be to try and sell your car privately and then you're choice increases as you can consider private ads too.

3 years ago I was in your situation too and managed to sell my 3.2 Carrera Targa privately and buy a 993 C2 from a Porsche Club member. (You will love the difference!)

You will always have to pay a premium when buying from a dealer as they obviously have to make their money too. But if you want to go down the part exchange route, other notable dealers who have 993's at the moment are:

http://www.shirleys-garage.co.uk/
and
http://www.autobahn.co.uk/

Henry and Tom and 911 Virgin are ok guys I guess but I'd rather buy privately in an ideal world.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31764

Toby

Following up on Hasan's comments I could recommend Shirley's. I bought a 993 Targa from him a couple of months ago, he's a sound bloke (Carl)

Looking at their prices they don't seem to charge too much over the top either ( Specialst Cars of Malton or Paul Stephens charge top whack)

That 993 (Varioram) in Midnight which they currently have is a nice looking car.

As for advice - do as much reading as you can. I bought the Peter Morgan buyers guide which was very informative. Plus if you're not mechanically minded, take someone who is. Luckily for me, my father worked in the motor trade for 30 years and helped steer me away from an accident damaged vehicle that I might have otherwise bought.

If you don't have someone to help out like this then seriously consider a PPI, though saying that I didn't get my car which I bought from Shirley's PPI'd, however my father was there when I viewed it.

Best of luck in finding your car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31782

Thanks for all the advice. A couple more queries. One of the reasons I want to move up to a 993 is that my wife finds the 3.2 a real handful to drive - heavy clutch, no power steering and slightly agricultural gearbox. I also find the legendary Porsche engineering does extend to the ventialtion system. Are these things totally different in the 993?

Toby

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31819

Ah yes..... :)

I remember the transition I made from 3.2 to 993 and the steering was sooo much easier. Aside from it being power steering, it felt really planted. Clutch on my 993 didn't feel heavy at all really.

Ventilation, whilst better than the 3.2, wasn't great but the demister worked much better.

Definately a more wife friendly car, but be careful, she might not give you the keys back!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31821

toby - my wife collected my 993 when i bought it and when she got home after an hour's drive in the rain i asked her nervously how she got on she said"its just like driving a golf". :eek:
What she meant was compared to my 3.2 which she had just delivered the 993 was like driving a golf.

All areas that you describe are much improved in the 993.

lovely - :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31823

I have driven non-stop over 7 hours in my 993, its the best car I have ever driven. Go for it.
Sell privately &
Buy privately and get a good PPI.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31978

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back