Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Navigation

Fingers

Hello Chaps,

Just to give you an update. I have no done a glorious 2000 miles in my 997 had the first oil and filter change and been given the official 'red line' is OK from the dealer! I did earlier and what a sound get 5000 RPM and the car just sounds horny a lot nicer to the ears than the 996 3.6!

Meanwhile, I ordered a navigation system today and was just wondering what it is available in the UK out of interest more than anything else.

Here I am getting a 7.1 inch touch panel display of course GPS etc etc. It allows changes to the view from various birds eye heights to street view and combinations (includes buildings) too views to list, 25 GB hard drive allows you to record about 1500 songs on to the HD. You can play, MP3's, DVD's, CD's and MD's, Hands phone free thingy, all sorts of sound settings. The coolest thing is you can type in a phone number and find the address, it has 1000 perfect driving routes, hotel, petrol station, restuarant info - too much stuff. And the coolest thing is it talks to you! And lastly it has a full SKY MAP - show's what stars you are looking at! Perhaps on a nice drive in the country but in central Tokyo where I love the neon gets in the way a bit too much!

What's the deal with the PCM? Any good? I can get it here but OPC's all say its not too smart....opinions appreciated. I only ordered it after hours this evening - so I can cancel it first thing in the morning if you experts want to share your opinons!

Cheers!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31589

PCM 2 seems to be a big improvement over PCM 1 (which is crap by modern standards). But what you've just ordered sounds brilliant, Servo. Where/how is it fitted? Integrated somewhere? Or tasteful add-on?

Car sounds great! Is it an S or a mere 'cooking' 997?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31592

Hi Maxy!

Its a base 997. Black / Beige, 19" Carrera S Alloys and a few other things.

The manufacturer is Panasonic, it fits in pefectly into the centre console, they remove the Porsche stereo and it fits in perfectly into that section, Porsche provide the surrounds to fit around so it looks perfect - just a very sleek display inside the console. The display is a touch panel type but you get a remote control so there are no buttons on the actual display or the consol itself! Not sure what the PCM2 costs but this baby is going to about GBP 2700.00 fitted - not sure if that is good in the UK here but, its the going rate for Porsche's

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31600

Oh, and the hard drive itself fits in the hood of the car quite neatly under all that plastic!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31602

If I had one of those, I'd never get out of the garage with it. Be too busy playing! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31603

Sounds a really nice bit of kit, Servo. Good to know that the base 997 makes good sounds too. So I don't need to bother with the S then... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31606

Sounds Brill. What model Panasonic is it? and do you think that it would fit in a 987 Boxster?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31614

It will fit perfectly in the Boxster actually (987 only) it is a very plush system.

Incidentally, I changed my mind and decided to get a slightly better job - its made by Pioneer - the below link show's it.

http://www.hdd-cybernavi.com/happyline/syohin_joho/index.html

Its got a 30 GB hard drive - it can store DVD's and heaps of CD's!

It can give you live weather updates -

You can play on the internet

Check your e-mails

Of course your mobile connects to it!

AND the best one, all your buddies who drive the 997 or 987 in any of their variations who have the same Pioneer job can be tracked at any time (providing they allow you) So in affect, on a Sunday morning drive you can see where your buddies are - if they are in the vicinity hook up for a nice coffee and chinwag!

You just put a CD into it press a button and all the titles and songs are recorded into the HDD!

It has something called a 'drive planner'. You type in what type of place you want to go, it gives you several options depending on weather forecasts, distances, traffic conditions, then you can type in the names of your buddies who want to come and it will decide the best plan for everyone to meet - because it can send them electronic messages! HOW COOL is that! Its worth every penny!

I do a fair bit of driving and will definitely save time and money (cos it tells you the cheapest roads to take) In case you guys didn't know, TOLLS in Japan are very expensive! From Tokyo to Osaka it costs about GBP 80.00 just on motorway tolls!!!!

Greg,

I was very close to getting the 987 (2.7) I actually ordered it but they only had one with a TON of options, full leather, PASM, Chrono, Sports Adaptive Seats but it had the 17 inch alloys and I don't really like the look of them. What wheels did you get? 18'? Did you get a manual? How are you enjoying it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31631

Also, it has voice recognition, so you ask 'Where am I now?' or 'Take me hom' or Curry Night : ) and it will take you there!

Here are some of the views you can enjoy!

http://www.hdd-cybernavi.com/happyline/kinoh_syokai/navi/map.html

Last but not least, there is an option to very discreetly fit a camera near the rear number plate holder which automatically allows you to see what you bump into!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31632

Thanks for the info Servo, much appreciated. Does it really show all the buildings as well? Looks like screenshots from Gran Turismo.

I have a 987 2.7 Manual in Seal Grey with Partial Black Leather, 18 ins Boxster S wheels, Climate, Wind deflector and PASM.

I'm loving it even in the London rush hour crawl. Unfortunately I don't get enough chances to drive it but I am getting over the guilt of leaving an expensive car parked outside on a London street for days at a time.

The car, after 2 months and 2000 miles, has just started to feel very natural to me and makes my 3 series 2.5 BMW feel very slow with handling like a pogo stick in comparison.

The cornering is fantastic, it seems to be able to handle them at any speed and I have not yet seen the PSM light come on so obviously I am not trying hard enough.

The PASM is essential, I feel, in Normal Mode for the badly surfaced city streets and the millions of speed bumps, as it makes the suspension softer than the standard Boxster. I have used Sports Mode a few times on fast A roads but it feels too harsh although I am sure that it would be brilliant on a track.

The climate and the wind deflector are a waste of money, in my opinion, and I now wish that I had spent the money on other options. A sports steering wheel would have been nice. The car comes with AC as standard and as I stick the climate on the lowest setting when needed I might of as well have stuck with the standard set up.

The engine revs very cleanly now and the gear shift has nicely loosened up. The braking is phenomenal.

All in all, it is a great replacement for my biking days, which I gave up a couple of years ago thanks to a bad crash that made me think that it was time to hang up my riding boots, after 25 years in the saddle.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31677

It show's them incredibly well! Its a bit scary actually. Before lunch time it asks you if you are hungry and gives you a list of the best places to eat in the area!!! Knight Rider FOR REAL!!!!

Thanks for the update on your motor/ I remember when you got it! You washed it yet?? : )

I think the options you have are cool - not sure about the climate control - bit of a rip from Porsche I think! Should be included!!!

As far as the wind deflector goes, I have had 2.7 986's with and without - definitely better with - not sure about the UK - you can't really put your foot down like you can here - but at serious speed it does make a difference!

I know what you mean about the rev's and the gear shift - my car is so smooth now its incredibly! I like it so much I want another one!!!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31678

I have washed and waxed it once so far but it is now covered in dead flies from a blast around East Anglia.

I feel that if I keep it mucky it won't attract the jealous sort.

So are there no speed limits in Japan? :lol:

The website for that Sat Nav looks amazing but I could not work out if the screen is separate or if it comes out of the unit?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31682

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back