Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Buying Advice Please

Hasan Ramadan

Hi All,

After just selling my 993 today, I am on the look out for an early 996 as my budget will stretch to £35k and have the following questions:

- I have definately decided on sports seats and the hi fi pack but with PCM sat/nav...it will be PCM1 right?...is this worth having?..I would certainly widen the pool of available cars if I don't go for PCM. I've heard it's not very good anyway and you can't get update discs for it easily.

- If the car already has a Porsche approved warranty, do I still really need to do a Porsche PPI?....If anything goes wrong it's covered anyway is my reasoning.

- When the ad says hi-fi pack, there is only 1 type isn't there? as in the chunky oval shaped speakers in the doors as a main visual clue.

- How much is the boot space reduced with a C4??...marginal or 50% less??

Your answers and wisdon is greatly appreciated.

Hasan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 30997

Well done Hassan! Glad that you are back in the market again.

Wouldn't bother with PCM1- no longer supported by Porsche. Hi-fi pack is good. By all accounts its best just to buy a good stereo/satnav.

I see your point on the warranty/ppi. However, the ppi is relatively cheap; could give you bargaining points and pay for itself and I'd want the peace of mind. I wouldn't assume that the warranty covers everything either.

"Boot" space with the C4 looks significantly smaller to me.

I reckon £35k will buy you a reasonably late car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31002

Thanks Robert,

I want everything to look original, so I won't want to put in an aftermarket sat/nav unit. That's good news as I have already spotted an Arctic Silver W reg C4 in Colchester with the above extras on 56k miles for £31k ;-) Will give him a call tonight.

I agree, it's best to do a PPI to uncover any issues and use this to bargain!.

I have actually spotted a C2 facelift 2002 car with sat/nav (PCM2 right?), sports seats and hi fi pack, 53k miles, basalt black metallic for £39k ono....which is seriously tempting (It also has a warranty till Jan 2006)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31004

Oy Hasan

If you jump on the 996 I'm looking for your in trouble!!

I would say £35K will buy you a top car.

I just missed out on a gorgeous C4 at Porsche Cambridge!! The calls on it were huge not surprisingly. Oh and yup you loose about 50% of the "boot" space due to drive train!

My take on this (correct me if I'm wrong people) is look for the best car at the top of your money. As an example low milage is good but service history and general condition are more important.

The more extras you get the better. The PCM on older cars from what I can gleam is ok but dated so don't worry.

Warranty...........Get one!!

The RMS question!! Is it only 2% or more that suffer with this? A £1k expense on the top of £35K is not a nice surprise if you have to fix it!!

Then people say don't buy solid colours!!(guards red) which I love!! Not as easy to sell!! Deeeeeeep Sigh!!!

Now you know why I am still in a quandry over what to buy!

ohhhhhhhh I appologise if anyone has one but... Silver just isn't my coulour (yes ok my 944 was stone grey .. cough Silver!) but I love Marks Jade Green Porsche 996....recently aquired.

Ohhhhh so many descisions to make and the summer will be gone!!!

Depending on your budget and taste Have a look at

http://www.autobahn.co.uk

I can't speak more highly of there service and general helpfulness!!

The search continues for me tooooooooooooooooooooo....................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31005

ps

If anyone sees a tiptronic C2 or C4 for the £30-£35K mark drop me a line...........I'll be eternally greatfullllllllllllllllllllllllllll...............................!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31006

Hassan/David

If LHD is not out of the question, then 30-35K will get you easily up to facelift version, with very low mileage, PCM2 Sat Nav which is a huge improvement over version 1 (I've got it in mine) and various other goodies. The other advantage would appear to be reduced engine probs/RMS compared to the earlier versions.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31026

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Hasan Ramadan on 05 July 2005

- How much is the boot space reduced with a C4??...marginal or 50% less??
I'm not quite sure about this, but when I was looking, it appeared that the C4 looses a lot in length, but is slightly deeper.

Admittedly, my only reason for opting for a C2 was the boot space issue (I have kids).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31027

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by David Rose on 05 July 2005

Warranty...........Get one!!

The RMS question!! Is it only 2% or more that suffer with this? A £1k expense on the top of £35K is not a nice surprise if you have to fix it!!
but the warranty will cost you £700 per year ....

On the boot ... I got a C2 for that very reason ... boot on C4 is only good for your sandwiches and with the grip you get from the C2 why do you need a C4?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 31029

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back