Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Repair or replace?

Richard Eff

Imola
Nice sunny day today, so time to take the car out for a run. Well, rude not to. Opened up the garage, and as I drove out, thought that the car felt a bit crabby. Jumped out for a look. Lo and behold, nearside rear was very soft. Grovelled underneath and found a ferking great screw right through the centre of the tread.

Given that this was a new tyre at the end of March and only has about 1000 miles on it, I assume this is repairable, or given that is on the back of a Porsche, would this not be wise?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28460

repairs I think are ok so long as its through the 'flat part'. I had mine on my 964 cab done for similar reasons and it was fine until I changed all 4 some 2 years later

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28462

I was once told you can repair it if it's not near the side walls, can't remmember what near means (?a couple of inches?)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28466

Regardless of age of tyre, I wouldn't like to have a repair done on a tyre that is holding a high performance vehicle's driving wheels on the road.

I would rather spend the extra cash in fitting a new tyre and know I'm safe rather than repairing a tyre that could blow out causing £1000's of damage or even worse costing you your life!!

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm a stickler for tyres!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28467

Whats the cost of a tyre?

I had a repair - put the wheel in the boot as the spare, a long while later had a front puncture, put the spare on the front nearside.

It blew at 90 on the M3. Just like a cut from the repair to the rim. Instant deflation. Not funny.

I have never repaired and used a tyre since - not even the one on my 307 estate that had a screw in it at 320 miles.

Do you really want to drive around wondering when it will fail - in a 911?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28468

In accordance with British Standards (BSAU 159)) Only certain areas of the tyre can be repaired.

This is demonstrated below by Area'T'

Repairable Area - Definition of Area'T'

repair.gif

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28470

IMHO if you're going to use anything approaching your car's performance in terms of speed and handling, replace it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28472

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back