Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 2s key and dash question

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(8252) wrote:

Hi all,

New to this forum and looking to become a Porsche owner for the first time ;-)

I just wanted to ask you knowledgeable folks a couple of questions (apologies if they're dumb) regarding a lhd 993 2S I've seen.

Firstly what do you get with a full set of keys? Is it merely 2 keys with the alarm fob or more than that? How important is it to get a full set, or is one key perfectly okay?

Secondly should the dash be leather or is that an optional extra (car has ruffled leather)?

Thanks in advance!

Asim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27876

leather dash is an option on a 993,

if you have a leather dash you also get a leather centre console underneath the handbrake, i think thats standard on a turbo bodied car

if you have a alarm remote you need the red master remote to get another remote coded, or you fit a new alarm, the alarms were made by a firm in kent ,

if its LHD its probably got a different alarm

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27877

Thanks Mark.

The car has the centre console you refer to, but no leather on either console or dash. I thought this was included with ruffled leather, but it seems not the case.

The car has the "Porsche Block System" and it may only have one key - a flick out type with a largish black plastic body with Porsche inscription and a button to arm/disarm the alarm.

Does this system definitely need the master key?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27879

The big black key i believe was only available on LHD cars

I don't sell LHD's so don't know, i suggest a phone call to an OPC,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27880

Just thought I'd report back on my findings. European (non-uk) 993s had the factory Porsche Drive Block security system fitted. This is different to the UK system - PA1000/2000.

Porsche Drive Block does not require a master key to allow new key fobs etc - my understanding is the red master key set up is required for the UK spec systems only.

Asim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27990

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Asim Humayun on 03 May 2005

Just thought I'd report back on my findings. European (non-uk) 993s had the factory Porsche Drive Block security system fitted. This is different to the UK system - PA1000/2000.

Porsche Drive Block does not require a master key to allow new key fobs etc - my understanding is the red master key set up is required for the UK spec systems only.

Asim

I agree !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27991

Sounds just like my recent LHD C2S with Porsche Block, ruffled leather but not on the dash, 2 switchblade keys.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27992

Seems some Insurance companies are fine with the Porsche Block system. Does it include a decent alarm too??

Have you guys stuck with the Block system alone or added in a conventional Cat 1 system too??

Asim

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27997

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Asim Humayun on 04 May 2005

Seems some Insurance companies are fine with the Porsche Block system. Does it include a decent alarm too??

Have you guys stuck with the Block system alone or added in a conventional Cat 1 system too??

Asim

Hi asim

On my previous 993 C2 cab LHD, I had a seperate alarm fob and only one key. I had another key cut, but the alarm fobs are limited to 2 copies after which any more copies, just 'bump' the original off. I used Admiral/Elephant and they were perfectly happy with OEM alarm/immobiliser. (and they were the best quotes by miles!!) . The fellas Mark referred to are:
www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/.
know their onions when it comes to Porsche alarm systems but were the manufacturer I believe for UK only models. Re the leather dash, the C2S was turbo bodied but pretty much everything else is standard C2 spec and ruffled leather was an option for the seat covers. The C4S from memory was all turbo apart from the blower, and therefore would have had the (standard on the turbo) full leather interior

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27999

Thanks alot Hendo. Provisional quotes I've been getting show some are fine with Drive Block, others are not. Privilege want a Tracker on the car otherwise no theft cover :roll:

I'm thinking about putting an additional Cat 1 system onto the car for piece of mind more than anything else, as I suspect the alarm is a pretty basic affair on the factory system from 1997.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28010

My insurer didn't recognise the Porsche Block (and I didn't have any doccumentation to show the car was actually fitted with it) and wanted a Cat 1. I have left the Porsche Block as it is conrolling the central locking and just use the auto immobiliser feature of the Cat 1 rather than seting 2 alarms when I lock the car. My car had tracker installed by the previous owner but as my insurer are not offering a discount, I am not going to renew the subscription when it runs out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 28012

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back