Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

erratic oil level sensor

imported_Trev Jaso

On my 3.2 '89 carrera the oil level gauge is completely erratic. I cleaned the terminals and this did not work. I replaced the sensor from within the oil tank and this hasnt made a difference. I then replaced the female connectors on the ground and sensor lead. This hasn't made a difference. Lastly, i routed another ground lead from the intake runner grounding point and this didn't work.

The gauge becomes erratic after about 5 mins or so, only when the oil is warm. When cold there is no reading. When i bury the accelerator it also becomes erratic. I haven't a clue whats wrong...any ideas!!!

For info, the new cork seal is so thick the actual metal sensor does not touch the oil tank because of th width of the new cork seal. Could tis mean the sensor isn't grounded properly thus causing this erratic level on the gauge. Oh yes, and of course ive checked it at dipstick level with engine warm and running; and it reads just under 3/4 full. Any ideas plse!!!! cheers

trev

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27736

The oil level guage is only supposed to give you a reading when the oil is up to temperature, you are stopped and the engine is idling. Whilst you are driving the oil level guage will move all over the place.

Steven

Migration info. Legacy thread was 27748

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back