Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

96 993 Targa door air draft

farmerjohn

I am getting outside air being channeled to my door-side thigh as I am driving with the top open, as is the passenger on their side. The air comes out through the door handle aperture, in an obvious and quite strong draft. All is stock, and unmodified. I took the door apart and the diaphram/ plastic barrier inside is correct and undamaged. The draft comes through a small slit made for the door-catch rod. All door seals are correct and in good condition, and the door fit, alignment and shut seems correct.

Am I the only one having this problem? Or is it only on 993 Targa's? Has anyone got any ideas please, I am running out of ideas myself!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25181

not sure mate.....

but right now the temps here are near zero and one hell of a wind chill... so won't be able to test with the top down for a while......!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25183

Just to clarify, draft shows up as soon as deflector is opened up, does not have to be targa top open.

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25184

I get it too! just open the deflector and its blowing.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25292

I'll check mine when I'm next out driving. Can't say I have noticed the draft. I'm led to believe that there are some deflector pieces underneath the wind deflector panel which prevent drafts being directed into the cabin.

John

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25326

Seems from answers I am getting back that although no-one noticed this before, it is present in many cars? (Seems strange that no-one in the UK or other "colder" climate had not noticed this before!)

As the design of the 911 doors has not changed for years, it would seem logical that other than 993 owners, with targa or sunroofs would get the same problem? - Can anyone out there verify with non-targa that if sunroof is just cracked open there is a draft around the door handles?

As I have not been able to find anyone who has cured this problem, I am going to attempt a fix by making a flexible skirt to the door lock rod where it passes through the door membrane. I will post results!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25406

I also get a draft, but its really not very strong.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25441

I finished off one door yesterday, and now have no draft at all. I created a compact shroud for the door catch actuating rod, out of a plastic bag and taped this to the membrane. After putting all the door panels back, took her for a spin, and no draft!

If you are checking for the draft on your 911, note that the strength of the draft is speed related (!), and is also related to what/how much you have it open at the time, - must be related to low pressure created in cabin.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25449

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back