Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Becker Sat Nav + Classic Road Angel PICS

Porsche

a short while agoI , I replaced my Porsche Radio Cassette player which was a bit weak... with a rather now pointless cassette function , well it is the 21st century now !

Becker make all of the Porsche Audio units, so the benefit is that it looks the same as the latest OEM unit's...

I went for the latest single DIN (was then!) Becker Traffic Pro High Speed unit (no.7820) which looks the same as the previous Traffic Pro unit but has the high speed function added (more memory & quicker calc speed)

and with the latest V3.2 Navteq Sat Nav dics (Oct-04) covereing all core West & Northern Europen in 2 discs, I have been very impressed with this unit... obviously lacking the current trend of large inter-active maps, but essentially the same !

Unit is prob' 2nd best to the latest Alpine INA-333 Single DIn unit, which has a larger single din screen and uses a more detailed DVD dics.... but this doesn't have the Porsche OEM look..

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7554.jpg

fitting was very easy, out with the old Porsche unit and this plugged directly in, as it uses all the same connectors.. also as it is the same as the Porcshe OEM units, my Porsche CDR-3 CD changer plugged straight in, without any need for any other connectors !

with the added benefit of having a higher RMS watts output, so I've already benefitted from am improvement in the audio !

for the sat nav function I did need a professional installer to help in fixing the sat nav GPS unit on the side of the dash (so it can see those sat's in the sky!) and the more difficult bit of connecting up the sat nav to the car's speedo cable (OPC _ Staples corner) which makes all the difference in absolute accuracy !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24489

how does connecting up to the speedo cable add to accuracy - my speedo is about 10% out comparded to both the origin b2 and tom tom!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24512

Sundeep.

Is your new head unit the same as those being offered as a group deal on PCGB forum? Met up with Ajit today and had a quick look at his unit, but not sure if it is the same as yours???

I'm looking for a unit for the GT3.

Also, now that you've got a decent head unit you may want to consider some replacement speakers. If so I've got some top notch Alpines that will slot straight in and improve the sound no end.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24517

I had heard that the Sony sat nav unit was made by Becker but did not realise that it was exactly the same, well other than it has a silver surround and the Becker is black.

The unit needs a speed pulse otherwise it thinks that the car is not moving. As to professional help needed in fitting, if you can wire in a standard radio you can fit one of thes units. BTW you can pick up the speed pulse signal from the wires leading to the rear spoiler deployer unit.

Sundeep thought I was back in my own car looking at your photo :)
other than it being LHD of course.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24519

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Toby Armfield on 19 February 2005

how does connecting up to the speedo cable add to accuracy - my speedo is about 10% out comparded to both the origin b2 and tom tom!
GPS locators + your exact speed makes all the difference..position

esp when driving quickly with many turns.. the sat nav knows exact where you are, etc

can't comment on tom tom but with the speedo cable connected (which is what IIRC all fixed in-dash units have) the accruarcy and spped of calc is very impressive..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24540

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by jonathan cosh on 19 February 2005

Sundeep.Is your new head unit the same as those being offered as a group deal on PCGB forum? Met up with Ajit today and had a quick look at his unit, but not sure if it is the same as yours???I'm looking for a unit for the GT3.Also, now that you've got a decent head unit you may want to consider some replacement speakers. If so I've got some top notch Alpines that will slot straight in and improve the sound no end.

mine is the previous Becker Traffic Pro, with the POrsche OEM look.. I decided against the latest Becker Traffic Pro (which suits newer 911's better! IMHO) as it looks too modern esp to be in a 993 ! do didn't prefer that unit.. classic Porsche look (with the latest tech) was for me

systems are almost the same, exc the newer 7946 had a slightly better screen & MP3 playback ability.. otherwise the same

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/IMG_7550.jpg

speakers.. already there... ! Infinity Speakers at the ready.. and looking to put a JL audio 6" sub under the dash & a Multi-channel Amp under the passneger seat (assuming I can find one small enough!)

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Shed17 on 20 February 2005

I had heard that the Sony sat nav unit was made by Becker but did not realise that it was exactly the same, well other than it has a silver surround and the Becker is black.
The unit needs a speed pulse otherwise it thinks that the car is not moving. As to professional help needed in fitting, if you can wire in a standard radio you can fit one of thes units. BTW you can pick up the speed pulse signal from the wires leading to the rear spoiler deployer unit.

Sundeep thought I was back in my own car looking at your photo :)
other than it being LHD of course.

as they say "great minds think alike !"

aye.. these Becker boys do get around ! Ferrai, Aston Martin et al!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24541

Sundeep I have the same Becker unit in my car and as you say it looks 'right' for the age of the vehicle etc. 1 Question, do you know where to get updated CDs for the system?

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24553

martyn....

If you have the traffic pro high speed which is on a different system to the normal traffic pro series.. i.e. dics are not compatible..

which version do you have at the moment ? v2, v3 or v 3.2 ??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24554

er...... Good question, I will see what it says in the manual.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24571

high speed are on v2, v3 or v3.2

normal trafiic pro and on at least v8, etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 24574

did you have a look at the disc version Martyn ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 25045

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back