Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Attention all 993 owners

warren mcbride

Does anyone have a steering wheel with a coloured crest in the middle - various people have told me that it was option at the time, but i have never seen a genuine one - seen lots of people selling small crests that supposedly stick onto the wheel ,but i'm never sure about about the quality/safety of those. Im referring to the 4 spoke steering wheel. I quite fancy a coloured crest as i think the embossed one is a bit dull. plus you can't really see the embosed crest and in an all black cabin a bit of colour would be an improvement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21628

nope..... just the logo embossed

don't think they are OEM options... due to manufacturer airbag requirements (?)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21632

I hear what your saying deeps, but the 996, Boxster, cayenne all have a coloured crest and they have airbags.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21634

I have a 3-spoke wheel that has the colour crest, but never seen an OEM 4 spoke with colour crest. There's been quite a bit of discussion about the safty issue re stuck on crest on Rennlist and someone suggested a plastic/rubber crest, others just painted the embossed logo with art paint.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21637

Blue wheel non colour crest.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21642

99634780453.gif

now I recall them...... just depends on how they are attached ? painted or a sticker ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21644

Thanks deeps, but im looking for a 4 spoker with the coloured crest.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21645

Sorry to sound like an airbag anorak but I used to work in the industry so I can give you some back ground information that is correct but probably ultimately useless.

Driver airbags became standard fitment on many cars in Europe around 1994. Manufacturers deleted the shiny crests / badges that were previously fitted to the steering wheels of non airbag cars as the badges became detached when the airbag deployed and there was a real danger of an injury being caused by the badge. Customers obviously complained as they felt the embossed monocolour crests looked cheap compared to the shiny colour badges on their previous cars. As a result of this Engineers started the search for a badge that would not detach from the deploying airbag cover. eventually, around 1997 several car companies started fitting shiney badges that had a type of rivet holding them onto the airbag cover.

So it's very likely that shiney crests are available on 996s (intoduced 1997 /1998) and not on 993s.

pp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21654

yes but we can't go sticking thing on the air bag cover or we could end up with the decal up our noses at best.....

Other than a new wheel it sounds like painting could be a good option.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21657

Thnaks Marx, but i really want a factory fit part.

WillD - i dont think im skilled enough to paint the crest in, plus i think it might look a bit naff??

Oh Well - i will just save my money instead i guess, cos im not going to buy a new wheel.

Thanks to all.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21658

Cheers westyman - i had seen this before, but im really after a factory part, esp after what Tajinder says above. I know, i know - im a bit fussy,but i dont want to walk around with a Porsche emblem in my forehead , if the airbag ever deployed!

thanks for the tip off all the same.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 22144

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back