Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Swiss Cars

porkersc

Trainee
One for Warren i think as i noticed your based in Switzerland. My SC was bought over by it's previous owner from Switzerland. Is it true the MOT test is very strict. The car has loads of paperwork in italian swiss for everything. I also have 2 small pamphlets from the Porsche with what looks like dealer stamps from every year for the past 10 years at least. When i had the car inspected by my local Porsche guy he said it had one of the cleanest engines he had seen with no oil leaks whatsoever, which i believe is very rare for an 82 sc. Also got certificate for the turbo fusch alloys when they where fitted by a main dealer in 88. Is this some sort of type approval? Sorry for writing war and peace?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21605

Porkersc - no problem my man. i've been dying to tell someone about all the "swiss porsche" knowledge i have acquired in the last 4 years.

Our Mot test is VERY strict - for starters you have to arrive on time for your appointment - if your late -forget it - go home and make another appointment.(the swiss love their time keeping,it gives them an excuse to keep looking at their rolex's) - the car must be clean , inside and out, the engine must be steam cleaned beforehand - so that MOT man can see any rust or oil leakage. Hence your clean engine. That gives you an idea of the test ahead. I have yet to have a car fail, but i understand it doesnt take much - probably something like dirt of the pedals.But the upside is that usually the MOT is every 3 years - depending on the age of the car. The stamped booklet you have is probably the Emissions test that the car has to have on a regular basis. Most people let their dealer garage arrange the above tests as usually the dealer or garage will have a friendly relationship with the testers - but of course your garage or dealer will charge you for this benefit.

Now next subject - you are not allowed to make any changes to the car as it left the factory without the authorities approving that change - anything apart from upgrading your stereo head unit - big speaker system? off to the inspector. The ONLY thing you can do without seeking approval is put something on your car that was standard equipment at the time (ie my 3.2 came with teledial wheels and i wanted Fuchs - no problem they were an option at the time / standard fitment and provided that the ones i fitted were the correct offset size etc i could fit them without any hassle, but in your car the turbo fuchs were not an option so off your swiss owner goes to have the inspectors check them and approve them. My 993 has RUF lowered suspension and 18" wheels - the previous owner had them approved and my ownership paperwork has been amended to show the changes. If the polizei stop me cos my car looks "modified" to them and i didnt have the changes stamped onto my logbook then the car is instantly impounded and big fines loom. Of course what happens and my boss's 328 Ferrari is a good example is that people fit unauthorised parts, hope they never get stopped and then remove the offending part before the MOT , replacing it with the standard part - in the 328's case he has a tubi style exhaust fitted and swops it at inspection time - but that seems like a real hasle to me.

If your car has lots of Italian paperwork then it probably came the Ticino region in the south, which is a geat place to own a 911 - lots of apline roads to explore.

My final comment is that Swiss cars in general are the best looked after cars i have ever seen - most live in garages when not being driven and combine the strict mot and caring owners who do not mind spending money on thier cars and you have a good result. Also most high end cars do not get driven in the winter - most people have a winter car - hence most 911 , Fezza'a etc are totally rust free and by uk standards under-used. My 84 3.2 only had 38k Miles when i bought it 2 years ago.

If you want some of your Italian doc's translated then let me know, as my wife who is Italian can do that for you.

Any other questions let me know.

Enjoy your car !

ps - this must be my longest post ever - do i get an award ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21626

Many thanks for that. My car is an 82 and only has 130km on the clock. About 80k miles. I looked and looked at the car and can't find any rust on any where. The leather is hardly worn all the car needs is a dam good polish, which i am doing this weekend. Looking at those stamps it does look like the emisions test. Loads of bills in italian. Thanks for your offer of a translation but luckily a work colleague is italian. I would reccomend anybody to get a Swiss car. My pal also bought a swiss SC a couple of years back and that was a minter. Don't be put off by LHD. After all i will have the advantage in France next year for Le Mans.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21629

Only downside with Swiss cars - certainly for the 3.2 Carrera was that due to the stricter emmissions controls Porsche were only able to sell the lower compression / US type engine with 217bhp vs the 231bhp ROW model. Not sure if there was a similar restriction on the SC motor though ????

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21635

sorry Jamie- thats not completley correct - my 3.2 was sporting a full 231 bhp - the early 3.2 series were un-restricted - the later ones had 217.

All the SC's i have seen have 204 bhp.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21636

Good stuff Warren, I stand corrected on the 3.2 - I thought it was all of them. Presumably changed at the point the G50 gearbox was introduced for the '87 model year - ie when 'cats' started to be fitted as standard equipment on Euro cars.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21638

Mine is 204 bhp. If you look in Peter Morgans book i think it was only US spec cars restricted.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21639

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back