Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine rebuild for a 3.2 Carrera

Paul Green

Hi, Hope some one can help. I'm looking to get a rebuild done on my 3.2 carrera as it's developed a nasty rattle under load . I would like a complete job done so I can be confident it will last.
I'm even happy to ship the engine abroad, as after speaking with the people at Motor Meister in the US they definately offer better value for money and seem to do a very thorough job. I'm just not sure if I have to pay dutys on the work otherwise it would be crated by now..!

Has any one else shipped thier engine abroad, if so any advise will be helpful.
Or alternativly if anyone knows of a reasonbly priced dealer in the hampshire area I would be interested in their details

Thanks
Dodge

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20438

<Sorry image not available after migration>
Hi Paul,

Why limit yourself to Hampshire in the UK when you are considering shipping to the States?

Several problems with shipping - not least is that if you have a problem then its a LONG way to ship back! Value for money is important but so is a class job. Everying Porsche is cheaper in the USA but importing can be a problem.

There are a number of very good engine builders in the UK Bob Watson and Autofarm to name but two (Oxford area) but if you are looking for a more reasonably priced rebuild with some form of assurity of workmanship try Graham Green Cars at Preston (07967 537 662). He restored the body on my '76 911 and is going to do the engine next spring - in front of cameras, I expect to spend two weeks with him watching and filming the work - to match the video and stills library for the body. He completely restored an early 911S (1960's vintage) that won many concours events over a number of years.

No affiliation but he does not charge VAT so price is very reasonable.

PJC

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20526

You will be looking at £2500+vat for a top end rebuild in the UK.

Cheers

Paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20551

I've been highly recommended BUT NOT YET TRIED a guy in Farnborough Hants. Planning on having him overhaul my 3.2 in the new year. I've spoken to him several times & he seems ok.

If you want more info ask as I'm keen not to blow the protocol on recommendations!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20634

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back