Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Air cooling engines - in traffic

Paul Davies

Do they ever get overheating problems when stuck in traffic?

Are there any issues at all to understand if you are only used to water cooled engines?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19253

I have never had any problems in stationary traffic in the UK with either my 3.0 SC or present 3.6 Carrera and think as long as the cooling mechanisms are running properly you shouldn't.

The thing quite a few newcomers to the aircooled 911 engine seem to miss is how to check the oil levels properly.

This should be done when the engine is :

- Warm

- Idling

- on level ground.

- Use the dip stick obviously as the primary guide and the gauge on the dash as secondary (incase it is faulty). The gauge I am told for my 97 Carrera should be with the needle horizontal.

Keep these engines well maintained and generally they will go on and on.

There are of course specific points relative to the engine size and year that come up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19255

Can i just add to WiLLD's reply above that you should allow the car to idle for at least 2 minutes, before dipping your stick. Ohh -err.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19256

before getting her revvvvved up :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19257

and make sure your oil cooler fan is working at BOTH speeds...

the low speed fan failure is a common 993 problem... i.e. high speed eventually comes on when the oil is already v.hot....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19278

How much oil does a 993 burn (I know this is normal)?

How often should you do an oil change?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19279

Sundeep did you have the extra bodywork added yourself?

I like the widebody 993's but they seem quite rare, how easy would it be to get modifications later similar to yours?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19281

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Paul Davies on 14 October 2004

Do they ever get overheating problems when stuck in traffic?

Are there any issues at all to understand if you are only used to water cooled engines?
Paul,

Aircooled engines are very unlikely to overheat when stuck in traffic, because the cooling fan is more efficient at low speeds, coupled with the fact that at tickover the engine is not generating much power and therefore heat.

Water cooled engines overheat at low speeds because they rely on airflow over the radiator to keep them cool.

Also with an aircooled engine you don't have to worry about water pump failure or head gaskets. :D

Matt.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19312

Mine runs cooler on the move than in traffic jams. I've been known to raise the spoiler manually, but I'm not convinced it makes a difference on the oil temp gauge.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19313

Anyone ever known of the oil lines which feed up to the radiator spliting once the oil gets really hot ? or even the radiator splitting. These parts are quite old now and therefore should they be replaced as a precaution ?

In the same way that a water cooled car can split water pipes and radiators when the engines get too hot. We've all seen them at the side of the motorway in those bank holiday traffic jams with the bonnet up and steam coming out everywhere.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19316

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back