Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 In The Flesh

Fingers

Imola
Porsche Japan launched the new 997 in Japan today. The place was packed with Porsche owners - saw everything from a 50's 356 to a GT3 RS's to GT's - you name it everyone was there - where you guys : )

Sat in the new Carrera and Carrera S which incidentally looks incredibly sexy in solid black. Both cars were nice but the Carrera S is where its at, the alloys look a lot nicer in the flesh. The Carrera alloys looked a bit crap actually! The current ones are much nicer.

There is too much to write about BUT the car in general is very very impressive - in appearance. Porsche are finally getting the interiors on their cars right. I particularly like the cup holders, CD storage and neat little pen holder. The glove box is better as well - deeper, better access etc.

The door is nice and heavy and sounds like a Bentley door - nice and heavy a great solid feel. The seats are much more adjustable than the current ones, HEAPS of leg room and head room for all you 6'4 inchers'! The back seat leg room is identical but a bit more width in the seats for you 'Porky' English Chicks.

Will write more if you anybody wants. Got the new catalogue with all the details, colours, technical info, interior options etc etc.

Lastly the amazing thing is that the 997 is about GBP 2000.00 cheaper than the 996 with PSM thrown in as a standard on all cars!

Happy to answer any questions - am getting a loan car for a test drive on the 14th September!

2003 C2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17775

PS - Porsche will be releasing 20' alloys as well for the new Carrera!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17792

[quote:aNPaPzGPYC="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 27 August 2004Porsche are finally getting the interiors on their cars right. I particularly like the cup holders, CD storage and neat little pen holder. The glove box is better as well - deeper, better access etc.
[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke?
The 993 interior is simple, elegant, and functional. No tacky bling bling accessories and random silver eyesores strewn throughout. Not to mention the ugliest steering wheel ever made, and almost universally disliked.

Why oh why would you want a cup holder and pen holder in a sports car??

Porsche has lost track of what a sports car is :(
Migration info. Legacy thread was 17794

‘Besides providing speedy acceleration, unmatched braking and good road-holding, an essential criterion was the car had to be practical for everyday use.’

Ferry Porsche

I could end it there but I’ve got nothing else to do right now so I’m going to go a bit : )

Have you seen the Porsche options list? An American magazine review was quoted. ‘All Porsche models come with an options list that runs in to the hundreds.’
You can probably list on one hand the number of options that actually make Porsches better sports cars!

For an ‘everyday - practical’ car you could say quite a few of the options are essential!. To say Porsche has only recently become options mad would be a lie – pre-1970 they offered over 200 options for the 911!

Practicality is what has always distinguished Porsche from other marques. Most Porsche drivers take pride in that fact! Most importantly Mr. Porsche himself set up his company with that goal : ) And I don’t know about you, when I convinced the Mrs that Porsches were practical she even said why don’t we get another one instead of a 3 series

If you spend your time in the English country side then obviously traffic jams are not a major issue – sadly, Tokyo where I live and New York, LA
and Singapore and places where I spend a lot time are pretty much gridlock!
I can regular get over 160 MPH though : )

So in a nutshell, I agree with you that you only need a simple interior to enjoy that beautiful engine and

Gear box but why not look good and feel comfortable when you’re not heel and toeing down to Tesco!

My mate who works for Ferrari – calls Porsche – Prostitutes – why? Because they make Targa’s, cabriolets, GT2’s GT3’s RS’s, Turbo’s and so many other bloody models – I just call them PRACTICAL.

The GT3 RS – that’s a drivers Porsche. Virtually everything else is an everyday car!

PS
I noticed you drive a C4 – you know there are a load of people out there who think C4’s are for people who lack some confidence in their driving skills.
C4’s can’t compare to C2’s in handling on a track but are very practical cars in all sorts of road conditions.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17795

Sorry slight mistake

The GT3 RS – that’s a drivers Porsche. Virtually everything else is an everyday SUPER SPORTS car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17796

The GT3RSR is not Road legal, and never will be.....

I should know I had one on order and have been told it isn't coming now.

Sean GT3RS

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17805

[quote:ji7EKC2laT="Previous poster"]Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 29 August 2004I noticed you drive a C4 – you know there are a load of people out there who think C4’s are for people who lack some confidence in their driving skills.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">
[/QUOTE]That is a strange assertion. C4s are faster in certain weather conditions, and living in Sweden I see those conditions more than I'd like to. If I lived in California I would probably go for a C2 :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17809

Fella's

Regardless of what everyone says, it is still a nice car but the inside takes getting used to. Few weeks ago at the German GP, they had a 997 on display in the Paddock Club. It was silver and looked great in the flesh. Interior was a bit weird to be honest. 996 owners will more easily adjust, whereas 993 owners will find it funny. All of a sudden, Porsche has gone from the eccletic to 'standard' and this will no doubt put people off. However, it does seem very much like the 997 has gone to the late 90's BMW treatment - where the more buttons you have, the better it is. But driving a BMW (base model, not M series) was about taking it leisurely, whereas a 997 is the opposite. So, finding these buttons on the move will be harder.

It;s a nice interior and of course, this was a fully specced one, so the plethora of buttons was almost too many. The quality did not feel like BMW either - it seems as though they have gone from the purist to the enthusiast - and therefore must compete with the fast BM and Merc drivers who wish to move up. That's life (and marketing) for you.

I liked it because it was a 997. I didn't like the interior that much, but then I'm comparing it to a 993 so never will. I know who they are marketing it to though and they have, pretty much, met this group, I feel. Those of us on this forum are fans of Porsche (most of the models anyway), and I suspect the 997 will continue to evoke such reactions when seen on UK shores (where it seems the majority of us are based).

All in all a nice sports car outside but a 'form' car inside - meeting the needs of the masses to sell to the masses. Quirky doesn't always work and Porsche seem to want to avoid it all together and hit mainstream buyers. Never mind...

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17842

I was surprised not to see a 997 on the Porsche stand at the Brands Festival - or did I miss it? From pictures the external view looks better than the 996 - especially the front - but it is difficult to get a feel for the interior.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17853

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back