Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High Mileage 993s?

Shed17

Now being back in the market for another 993 much sooner than I expected and also with a substaintially reduced budget due to my insurers I was wondering if there is any knowledge with regard to top end rebuilds on cars that have done 90K and over.

There is plenty of information on the 964 engine top end rebuilds at anything over 75K, but I have not come across anything on the 993. Even the article in 911 & Porsche world about the two high milers makes no mention of this. Have Porsche sorted out this wear problem or is this still something to rear its ugly head?

Look forward to your replies.

William
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17037

the top-end rebuild debate really applies to early model 964s. When the engine was enlarged from 3.2 to 3.6 litres from the 911 carrera to the 964, porsche failed to add an appropriate gasket. the engines ran slightly hotter than was expected, causing, over time, warping at the cylinder base with consequent oil leak. Porsche identified it as a design flaw and offered owners a fix but many failed to take them up on it, hence now the classic leaky 964 engine. In fact many people still happily run their 964s with a bit of oil weep and no problems. the fault was rectified at the factory in later models (I think 1992 onwards, certainly everything after 1993) and does not apply to the 993 at all. hence a 993 will only need a top end rebuild if there is a specific problem with that car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17042

my 95 993 tip has just let go of a big end at 101k....

im told it was due to low oil in the past maybe?

when i told my mechanic the ends had gone he said they dont go! drove it down the road and he said to me" your right they have"!!

waiting for small end bushes now ...valve guides shellls and oil pump as a precaution.

££££££ !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17126

i know this is not the focus of the forum but re 964s - they did try to fix the 964 problem with a larger seal area and installing a gasket head but the problem was not entirely eradicated. Don't think that later 964s are dry - they are not!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17130

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back