Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

REviving 1977 Porsche 911 targa

malo

hey im new to this whole porsche scene. I just found a black 1977 911 targa, and was wondering if you guys could input me some info on the specs of it, and its perfomance. Also i got it AS IS so, was wondering what i needed to do to revive it. The tires are flat, that is obviously first in line , then what? The porsche has only 30,000 miles. Yes it is an extremely low number but it is all true. If you guys could respond asap, it be grreat. I want to fire up this bad boy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15684

Malo. Welcome to the site!

77 targa is a 2.7 litre engine putting out about 170 bhp (in its day). The engines were a little notorious for pulling head studs, although this was mainly in the hot climates where heat was a problem. I am no expert, but if it hasn't run for a while and only has 30,000 miles on it, it might be worth taking to the professions to have a once over. At the very least I would drain the fuel, replace the fuel filter, change the oil and oil filter, give it a new air filter, potentially change the brake fluid, replace the battery. Oh and those tyres will need replacing.

It depends when it was last run really. If it has been stationary for a long time all the rubber in the car will have hardened and you may find lots of things leaking (like the roof!) Rubber hoses etc are likely to have gone brittle and should be checked too (e.g. the fuel lines).

When was it last run?

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15692

it probably hasnt been run since 15-20 years. yeah pretty sad.. so you say 170 hp..do you know the quarter mile time or 0-60 time, or even a rough estimate?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15736

Wow. In 15 or 20 years the cylinders could have corroded or other nasty things like that. You really should have someone take a look inside the engine and make sure it is all OK, although I am guessing you picked this car for next to nothing and don't want to invest too much in it.

Performance-wise, 0-60 was something like 8 secs. Didn't set the word on fire, I am afraid.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15741

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back