Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Words from a Newbie, RSR Mufflers???

Don777

Silverstone
Hi everyone,

Just bought my 1st Porsche and boy am I a happy bunny.

I've also been looking in on this forum for a month or two and what a mine of information. Looks like I'm going to enjoy 911 ownership!

Got a few questions: My car's got a few v.light scratches on the bonnet. Is T-Cut too abrasive? can anyone recommend something to remove them.

Also if "Poon" is out there, what's the deal with the RSR Mufflers? Are they as good as I've heard? Would you mind letting me know what difference they make and how you got them, costs etc... Thanks

Great site!

Don.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14925

Hi Don

I wouldn't go near your pride and joy with T-cut - far too abrasive! You may want too try Autoglym Super Resin Polish, I've not used the stuff myself but from what I've heard a lot of people seem fairly happy with the results on stone chips/minor scratches when used in conjunction with an application of Porsche touch-up paint (best to use a fine artists brush or cocktail stick to apply).

I've been considering the RSRs myself, in Europe you can order through
www.carnewal-europe.com
they're 400 euro's and are sold on an honour system - they send you the mufflers, you try them out and if you like them send your old mufflers back plus payment. According to another thread there is currently a 12 week wait at the moment for them after an article was publised in 911 & Porsche World, I'm sure there worth it, but hopefully Poon should be able to provide a definitive answer.

P.S. thanks for info on the Idle Stabiliser Valve I'm going to check it out. You may also be interested in the DIY section of the
www.p-car.com
site that details cleaning an ISV - could save you some ££££s.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14934

Don,

The RSR's are definately worth getting if you leave your engine standard and want to get a beefier more aggressive sound. I might swap them out for a set of mufflers supplied to JZ Machtech as I lost 9bhp from about 4500 rpm when the car was last on the rollers, mine has been chipped. Steve reckons this was due to a loss of backpressure. The JZM mufflers are pricey £1300 though.

If I do I will sell the RSR's on an exchange basis for someones old mufflers, I'll let you know if and when.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14938

Poon/JonH

So do you think as my engine is standard, would I lose anything at the top end? Thanks for the offer of an exchange, it'll be a while before I do anything though.

Thanks for the link to p-car Jon, I'll be cleaning my ISV tomorrow am...I'll let you know if it helps.

Cheers

Don

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14943

Can I ask a dumb question: why do you need to clean out the ISV and what are the symptoms of a mucky one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14952

The idle is all up and down by about 4-500 revs. I took it to be serviced and they diagnosed a sticking ISV - gave me two choices, buy a new one or try cleaning the existing one as they do get mucky.

There's a good description of how to do it on
www.p-car.com
and I'm assuming as they've wriiten a DIY guide on it, it must be something that does crop up.

I'm just off to do it!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14954

My ISV was filthy, I cleaned it up put it back but it's still not working. Strangely when I pull the plug off it, it idles steadily but high (900). When I put it back on it's all over the place. Also it occasionally jumps up to about 1200rpm or so.

Looks like I'll have to fork out :(

It's an easy job by the way.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15009

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back