Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SC or Carrera as daily driver?

Keep the SC and buy something to commute in. The problem with using the SC every day for such a short journey is with engine temperature. If you don't create enough temperature in the engine to burn of the condensation then the engine will start to detiorate faster than with good use. You need a twenty mile run to get the engine up to correct operating temperatures. Of course this assumes that you are not driving flat out for twelve miles! The same applies to other engines but I don't care about other engines.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14618

Blimey 20 miles? I didn't realise it was that far. I have to admit I usually get it up near the redline before then - perhaps after 10 minutes. I would have thought it was pretty well warmed up after the half hour it'll take me to get in.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14619

WEell it's not an exact figure it depends on type of use, it's just a yardstick That makes sure all the water in the engine burns off. Just because the engine is showing a hot enough temperature to use the revs doesn't mean you will burn off all the condensation in there in a short journey. My point is about water in the engine rather than about when it's safe to buzz the engine. It's not an exact science but the engine is expensive to rebuild or replace.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14620

Hmm, maybe I should do a poll on the Pelican board?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14621

If its of any interest - my daily commute around Lake Zurich was approx 15 Km's and took about 20 - 30 mins - engine temp was well into the "redline" section.

Then again my car ws kept in a warmish garage at home and at work so there may not be such a condensation issue ?????

Put it this way - would you prefer to own your car and hardly ever use or use it every day and MAYBE have some engine problems sometime later on down the line.

I think that as long as the engine is "hot" by the time your journey ends and you give it a long run every week or so, then you are not going to have too much of a problem

Just my 2p's worth of course....................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14626

The water doesn't come so much from storage although that is a factor it's the start up ans cooling down process. The nature of combustion produces water vapour this has to burnt off in an engine or it contaminates the oil and degrades it's ability to protect the engine's metal components, it doesn't matter where you live or what the outside temperatures are, that water needs to be burnt off. The person we are talking about lives in the uk with it's particular weather conditions so that's what I'm basing my 'rule of thumb' figures on. I'm not suggesting for one minute that SM hardly ever drives his car, don't know where I said or implied that. When winter comes around I make sure my SC gets a good run once or twice a month not a sprint round the block in the hope I'm doing it a favour. I've owned it 19 years and it's travelled 145, 000 miles with no major rebuild work , it still has the non-hydraulic cam chain tensioners even. It used to run on Shell oil , then Castrol GTX now I use Castrol Magnatec, a synthetic oil and change it dependent on usage rather than mileage.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14635

Whoooaaaa - easy bones !!!!!!

My comments were based on the original question the the poster asked - "SC or Carrera as daily driver ?"

I was simply saying that in my opinion ( and that was what he was asking), he should use it everyday.

Plus if the "issue" is condensation, then surly the time between heating up and cooling down is irrelevant - its the fact that condensation occurs - therefore condensation will occur wether you run the engine for 20 minutes or 20 hours ?

Answers on a postcard please..............................

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14636

Can't afford to waste the price of the stamp.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14638

Oh dear bones - and there was I thinking that this was a DISCUSSION forum.............

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14833

*dons perm wig and scouser moustache*

ey, ey, calm down dere la :)

seriously though - I'm perfectly aware of condensation on startup - but I would've thought a 13 mile drive would be plenty to get the temperatures hot enough to burn it off. I'll look into it further and there's an end to it.

Now shake hands.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14835

Absolutely - whatever you decide and i hope you decide to use the SC as a daily drive - good luck ! I loved using my car everyday and in the winter it surprised a lot of people that i was using it in snow, rain etc. It was totaly reliable and made me feel special from the moment i opended the garage door in the morning. Best of luck and let us know of your decision.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14836

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back