Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New xenons

manek

Montreal
Well, the new HID xenon headlamps (from 9Meister) are in. I’d describe the process in loving detail but it’s been done very well before here:
http://hidforum.com/diy/993/diy.php
, so I shan’t repeat history. I’d just add a few riders:

The xenon bulb didn’t fit into the hole left by the halogen bulb; the aperture is about 1mm too small. This may be a issue for 993s made before September 1995. I was about to send the kit back when I realised all was not lost. It’s easily widened by a few minutes’ gentle use of a modeller’s half-round file, with no impact on the reversibility of the operation. The halogen will still fit.
There’s very little spare room behind the near (passenger) side headlamp housing, so tidiness of cabling and where you put the igniter are vital.
The scariest part was drilling a hole in the back of the flap on the back of the housing. This is irreversible.
Nothing else needed to change.
The operation took an hour per side, all told.
[/list:XgCfRNtesu]
They are BRIGHT!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14466

Manek

Are u coming along to the April PCGB bash?

Think u should as I need to check our the lights. Can't stop modding at the mo. This could something else for the list.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14484

Jonathan

Yes, I'll be there...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14488

Manek

The HID site seems to have the photo's. Is there an idiot proof guide of what to connect to what in terms of the electricity bits in the package???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14508

Hendo, the Documentation's not that hot -- just a conceptual of some wires but, to be honest, it's pretty simple. All the plugs are individual so you can't connect the wrong wires. The hard part is fitting the gubbins into the space available but now I've got it in and working -- proof of concept and all that -- I think I'll tidy up the installation next weekend...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14518

Manek,

Is it xenons on dipped, and halogens on full beam? If so what's it like switching to full beam?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14633

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by luke on 02 April 2004

Manek,

Is it xenons on dipped, and halogens on full beam? If so what's it like switching to full beam?
Good question.

I've installed them on dipped, which may sound perverse but in practice you drive around on dipped most of the time so in one sense you get more benefit. However, I've decided I'm going to swap them to the main beam (and install a second kit for the dipped beam later in the year) so that's my job for the weekend...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14641

Where do you get the conversion kit and how much is it?

Regards

Elizabeth

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14676

Colin/Elizabeth

As per my PM, I bought them from Ninemeister (same kit and price as CA Automotive [aka hid-online]) for £480-odd + carriage + VAT, total £565.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14684

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back