Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Woofers & Tweeters

mortod

Trainee
Is there a crossover filter serving the speakers in the front doors ? If so, where are they located ?Are they prone to problems ? I only get a very muffled and faint sound from the larger front speakers and nothing from the small ones. Any advice to help me trace the problem greatly appreciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13512

On mine there was a crossover built in to edge of the (crap, Nokia) woofer, with cables running up to the tweeter from there.

I replaced with Boston Acoustics, the tweeters of which can fit inside the original grille and the woofer looks very close to stock - sounds good too! (They have quite a chunky crossover which I put into the door pocket, below the release handle)

Hope this helps........

(Some cars came with the HiFi pack, which have a seperate power amp under one of the seats).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13513

Fixed the problem - found some other wires in the door pocket which work ! I do have the seperate power amp, so not sure whether I have just connected back to the integrated amp in the head unit, or if I've connected to an unused channel 5&6 from the power amp. Without the ignition on, the radio powers up and tunes in, but no sound, which makes me think I'm still using the power amp.

The other odd thing I noticed is that there is an unconnected DIN plug next to the power amp - crammed in next to the amp is the alarm box (installed for the previous owner 2 years ago). My guess is that the amp was moved a few inches to make space for the alarm, and a new DIN plug cable had to be laid as the old one would not reach. Guess the alarm installer did a shoddy job, which went unnoticed for 2 years !

With regard to those 'crap' Nokias - what size should I purchase as replacement ? I see speakers quotes as eg 4", 5", etc, but I am not sure which dimension they are quoting (ie the diameter of the grill, the paper cone. The Nokias have a 6.25" grill - should I be buying a 6.25" replacement speaker ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13551

Looks good. Does it come with a grill - not clear from the link ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13560

Yep, it has a black grill very similar to stock item - with a small orange logo at the very bottom; but you can bearly see it, pretty much hidden by the door bin.

For the tweeter, you can prise off the grill it comes with and glue it to the back of the existing housing/grill. Bostik seems to work OK!

Good luck,

Vic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13564

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back