Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another first timer

Harry

Guys,

Sorry for another one of these posts, I know there have been a few recently!

I plan to start my search for a RHD 964 this weekend. Ive got a budget of about £18k and intend to have a profesional inspection done when I find the right car.

Can anyone offer me any advice on what to look out for myself, before I call in the experts?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12571

For £18k you should be able to get a later one, which means you won't need to worry about the dual mass flywheel. There was also a problem with the engine rectified in the later models, but I can't remember what...

Good luck and welcome!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12573

Definitely go and have a look at:
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/

It is the best online resource for info on 964's and tells you all about the stuff to look out for like vent kits on the distributor belts.

964's are great cars if you buy one that has had the few famous issues fixed but you should bear in mind that they are (a bit) more expensive to service than either an older 3.2 Carrera or a 993. For me, however, they are the best looking of all 911's and are the perfect blend of go-kart-ish feel and mod-cons. Just find one with a stack of receipts and that has been loved and cherished. They are out there.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12575

Hi Harry,

There are a couple of really useful sites to look at (incuding this one of course!). Check out www.porsche964.co.uk and also adrian crawford's site www.performance2and4.co.uk (sorry my Mac doesn't like putting hyperlinks in).

Definitely go for the latest one you can afford. MY 92 onwards the cyclinder head leaks were (mostly) rectified, but 964 had a problematic dual mass flywheel throughout its production run (with the exception of tiptronic and RS models). Drive a few to get a feel for the good and the bad (there are a lot of bad!). Might be worth you having a chat with prestige & performance cars (www.911virgin.com) depending where you are - there are mixed views on them, but they usually have a few 964s in stock and will freely give you advice.

Lastly, tread carefully and make sure you have at least a couple of grand stashed for the inevitable.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12576

Can't recommend these 911s high enough for that money you should get a cracker, register at the PCGB forum and ask some questions in the 964 section
Good luck. The club also offers experts for PPIs

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12596

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back