Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1968 Factory Race Car????

olddustyrelics

I have a man who is trying to sell me a 1968 911 "special edition". It is a flat six with 6 twin choke webers that he claims was factory. He claims that it was a special car built by Porsche for SCCA racing in America with an automatic stick shift. Supposedly Porsche was wanting to demonstrate how effective the auto box could be in competition and hope that it would translate to sales. He claims that it is not an "S" or an "L" but just a plain 911. Was there ever such a car or is he pulling my chain??

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12495

In 1967 Porsche won the 84hr 'Marathon de la route' with a sportomatic 911S . It was piloted by Jochen Neerpasch, Hans Herrmann and Vic Elford. To identify it you will need to get the vin and the engine No. As far as I know this was the only 911 with a sporto transmission raced so if it still exists (Idoubt it ) it is very rare and presumably expensive.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12497

I agree it may be a long shot, but the engine looks strange. I have also never seen a early 911 with six twin choke Weber carbs and a factory looking aircleaner. Where would the engine number be located and what would I be looking for in the VIN or engine numbers???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12499

The engine no. is to the right of the fan and the vin is in the luggage compartment on a strip of thin aluminium. If you get those no.s I should be able to tell youif it is a standard production car or not

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12508

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back