Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aargh - 993 Alternator Probs.

Dunc

Barcelona
After an extended Crimbo rest period, my 993 was flashing its battery warning light occasionally so I took it to the OPC assuming that the belts they fitted last month had gone slack. Belts found to be ok, and now I go to take the car out of the garage and its DEED!!

Does anyone know of companies which supply reconditioned alternators for the 993?? I'm also wondering if it can be changed out via DIY, or if it is hidden away like everything else on this car??

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12443

I believe that the alternator is inside the fan housing - is this correct? If so, it looks like a job I could take on myself - is this wise???

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12446

Dunc,

Yes your correct the alternator is behind the fan and can be removed yourself if your feeling confident.

Take a look at Robin Sun's excellent DIY section on his website
www.p-car.com
, since he already has a DIY covering this. The direct link is
http://p-car.com/diy/alternator/alternator.html

window.open=NS_ActualOpen;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12451

Nice one Gatekeeper, thats exactly the kind of DIY guide I need to avoid messy/costly mistakes. I am fairly handy with the spanners but its always best to see how someone has done it before!

Not having any beer tonight in order to have a fresh head and start the alternator removal tomorrow, with a view to getting a replacement out for the start of the week.

Cheers

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12454

Managed to get the alternator / fan assembly out this morning (although I'm not looking forward to reffiting!!).

Can anyone advise as to the best method for seperating the fan and alternator from the fan casing - is it a press fit?

Also, that procedure on P-car was a valuable aid in doing the job. Handy site that!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 12468

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back