Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox Christmas wish!

Waz2

Has anyone ever experienced problems with a 915 type geabox?

Crawling in traffic it stuck in first gear, then made some nasty sounds in neutral and after that i couldn't find first gear again.

Had the car trailered home and have booked it into 'the porscheshop' in Halesowen for the 9th of Jan.

Has anyone had any gearbox experience before? The linkage is fine and i can find all gears except first.

More importantly, does anyone know how much a gearbox tends to cost to strip down and re-build?

Waz

1980 911SC

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11824

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Waz on 17 December 2003
Has anyone ever experienced problems with a 915 type geabox?
Crawling in traffic it stuck in first gear, then made some nasty sounds in neutral and after that i couldn't find first gear again.
Had the car trailered home and have booked it into 'the porscheshop' in Halesowen for the 9th of Jan.
Has anyone had any gearbox experience before? The linkage is fine and i can find all gears except first.
More importantly, does anyone know how much a gearbox tends to cost to strip down and re-build?
Waz
1980 911SC
How long is a piece of string Waz. 915s can give trouble. You say that the linkage is fine have you checked the bushing at the base of the gear stick and in the coupler to the input shaft in the spy hole behind the front seats? If you are happy all is well there and your clutch is fine , the most likely fault is first geat synchro. If you strip the box a rebuilder is likely to spot other faults which make sense to be repaired. You could be in for an expensive job between a considered guesstimate of £1000-£2000. Remember there is labour involved in taking the engine out to get to the box and gearbox parts are horribly expensive.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11858

Thanks Bones,

I've put a stop on getting Christmas presents for people now!

The linkage is fine and as i've lost first, i presume that is the cause of the problem!

Unfortunately i couldn't get the boss drunk at the works christmas party to find out how much my bonus was going to be this year and if it'll cover it!

Waz

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11880

I don't use my 911 as an everyday car it's a project car , my hobby if you like so I can take my time to figure out the best and cheapest methods of doing things. If you have a second car I suggest before you dive into 'rebuild gearbox mode' find out as much technical info on these boxes as possible (post at pelican parts website for the best technical info available online) and ask around to find out who are the best and most cost effective Independents in your area.
You could do worse than get second opinions over the phone off JZ Mactech and Autofarm. I'm currently retro-fitting a 4 speed '73 sportomatic gearbox to my '78 car, at the moment the 'box which I haven't seen yet is in Lincolnshire and the gate and linkage are in Sussex, I'm in Enfield! I sympathise, it's a big expensive job and needs to be done right.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11881

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back