Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mayo like stuff in oil filler

NeilH

I went to top up the oil in my car today (996 C4S). When I took off the filler cap, I noticed that the inside was covered in a thick, yellow substance like mayonnaise or custard.

Should I be worried??

The car also appears to be using a lot of oil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Neil.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11629

Sounds like your coolant is leaking into the engine casing and mixing with the water, hence the "Mayo".

Early 996 blocks were prone to going porous, but I thought Porsche had erradicated the problem, better take it back to the OPC

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11633

Neil. Yeah it sounds serious. If the car has sat for a while unused, or used for only short journeys it is possible it is just a bit of condensation in the engine, but it is more likey coolant in the oil, as Poon says. Definitely a trip to the OPC.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11634

Guys,

thanks for the feedback.

Booked into OPC - I'll let you know the outcome.

Neil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11773

Neil although it could as Poon suggests ( worst case) 996 are prone to producing this type of junk on the filler cap if you don't drive far enough and fast enough to burn of wter vapour.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11779

Old forum user Unidentified(11139) wrote:

mine does this, i use it every day for very short journeys of around 4 miles. Everyone i've spoke to says the same thing, thats its bound to generate condensation as you're not getting the car warm enough to burn it off, plus the filler cap is so far away from the engine there's no way it can be a water/oil problem or it would appear on the dipstick.

If you get custard streeks on the dipstick - be worried, in the filler tube - no worries just clean it out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131834

Classic short journey syndrome !

Effects most cars if you only drive for short journeys all the time, as the engine never fully heats up with a run for a sustained duration

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131883

As Admin says, mayo in the oil filler cap is a sign of moisture mixing with the residual oil in the neck of the cap... the car isn't being run enough/hot enough to evaporate the water in the neck filler.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 131927

Beware what the OPC say.. They may want to cover themselves BUT I have heard both sides of the story.. Definately mine has 'small' amount of mayo when not used much .. It's emmulsification of water & oil.. Particularly this time of year when there's dew in the mornings a small ammount of moisture in the form of condensation is bound to lie in the filler pipe/cap. More importantant is to check if there's OIL globs in the Water.. On many cars this is sign of head gasket or pourosity. Also I think it's made more a problem with the filler cap lying flat.. The people with great experience in this are Autofarm
http://www.autofarm.co.uk/engines/water_cooled

Good luck and don't loose sleep until you know for sure if there's a problem. There's a lot of hype out there !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 132099

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back