Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LHD 993 - how risky?

paul walsh

LHD 993 with fPsh from Germany at RSJ.

Is there anything I can do to check history / mileage or just trust dealer?

Presumably PPI will spot ringer/write off-repaired will it?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11510

Yeah PPI will sort the good from the bad. You can do a HPI to check its history. RSJ seem to only sell genuine cars though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11511

thanks noony

can hpi do much on a (recent) german import?

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11522

£100-200 I should think. This only checks the cars history, not the condition.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11541

Hi Paul,

RSJ have a reasonable reputation but are not infallable. Service history should preferably include a stack of bills as well as the stamped book so you can see what work has been done at service. Obviously check that the VIN matches on the windshield, V5, service book and under bonnet sticker (although these sometimes get removed).
If you're interested in the car, definitely get a PPI done. HPI check is useful but only lists certain categories and I'm fairly certain will not bring up anything outside UK. My previous porsche (a 964) that I bought without PPI (head ruled heart), had NSR wing replaced after an accident but this didn't show on HPI.

Generally speaking, German cars are well looked after, but you've got to get a PPI to be sure. BTW, LHD rocks!

Good luck and be careful.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11544

Checking an import...

HPI. Sadly hpi is less than 100% safe. You only have to see the 'unrecorded' salvage in the back of Ex and M to know that. HPI only record the recorded and only 'most' of them.

Tip 1. Always get the original printout, not just the certificate.......and check the previous registration numbers. There is a loophole which I dont think I should disclose....but get the original printout.

HPI only checks the English record.

So what do you do?

1. The car should have its original Farzeigbrief. This is the German title. Think of it like the deeds to a house, if the bank own it, they have the 'brief'.

2. There is no 'right off ' record in Germany.

3. The 'brief' will contain details on the previous owners. If you look on the front cover, the first keeper on the cover should have owned the car from new. Let me make myself more clear, there will be two dates beside the keeper, one is the Date of birth (if a private owner) the other the date of registration by that man. So you can see if your first man (on the brief) was indeed the first one.

In Germany you could apply for a new brief, thereby making your 6 owner car(with a full brief) look like a one or two owner to us foreign jimmy's.

4. On the back cover a series of small boxes, this is the registration dates (licensing/taxing dates) and de registration dates. So these should correspond roughly with the owner changes (or where the cars been licenced and delicenced a lot ion the case of a summer use) or been off the road in the case of a rebuild.

5. Inside the brief details of chassis number and any declared modifications.

6. The service book (by the way I go through detail like this in my guides) it should have the white data label like under the bonnet (ther is something funny people do here too). The inside cover (or is it back cover?) will have a print date, dont buy a 94 car with a 96 book!

7. you can if you wish contacct the service stamps in Germany, most speak as good english as us lot.

Ther is a heap of other stuff that your ppi may or may not cover, but thats a few pointers without me writing my guide on a public forum.

p.s. A good dealer , should know most of this stuff and be able willing to help if you ask. Dont say Adrian said because it might p**s him off. :wink:

Adrian Crawford 911secrets.com performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11606

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back