Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

G50 GEARBOX NOISE

Anyone got any idea on this one!Iam about to go and view a "88" 911 3.2 which sounds very nice 109,000 miles fsh 3 owners,however vendor has said the gearbox is noisy in 4th and 5th and would cost around £2000.00 for a re-con box. Do G50 gearbox's have any known faults or gremlins at this kind of mileage?And is £2000.00 the kind of figure i should expect to pay for a re-con box?

Andy Pritchard.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11280

First thing I would do is change the oil, and look for a metal filings in the old oil. If there are big lumps of metal a new gearbox may be required. If not you may find a change of oil helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11290

Thanks James for the info,The man selling the car sounds like a perfectionist and has always had it serviced properly and on time.So maybe it's something a little more serious , maybe bearings !!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11294

No known faults, as far as I know. In fact, G50 is the box of choice for BIG hp motors.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11312

G50 noise...

The 3.2 with a G50 g box is usually sound, very unusual to find a car with a box problem. Whatever, the vendor is being straight and thats great. If the box (or diff) is noisy it may be as well to source a used box from a reputable source and fit that. Get a quote first and then you can figure out if its worth the money+hassle factor on that car. Assume the worst - hope for the best.

Good luck.

adrian c 911secrets.com performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11313

Thanks very much for the sound advice , I'll bare that in mind when making my offer. :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11342

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back