Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Annoying Buzz from Rear

colintinto

Hi All,

Last couple of times I've had the car out it has developed an annoying buzz coming from the rear somewhere. You only hear it as certain revs, or sometimes with certain bass notes at reasonable volume on the stereo.

I've been in the back and taps a few bits, especially speaker grills etc, but everything seems solid. But then I hit the top of the rear glass, and can hear a bit of a rattle.

It looks lile the spoiler/third brake light holder is slightly loose, and might be the culprit. Can someone with a 993 (an no noise!) give their brake light holder a bit of a tap and see if it sounds a bit loose/rattly?

Any ideas how the spoiler bit is held on? No obvious signs. I had a look in through the zip inside, but there are extra panels to remove to see anything and I've not done that yet.

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11052

Hi Colin,

I don't suffer from a rattle, so I've just tapped my brake light for you to see what happens. The "brake light holder" itself is very tight and doesn't have any movement, but if I tap the brake light directly then its is slightly loose.

Sorry, I can't be of more help!

Cheers

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11053

Hi Colin,

The 3rd brake light / spoiler is bolted onto two studs glued to the rear screen. You can access these by gently prizeing off the painted spolier (held on with about twenty springs clips), which will then reveal the spolier and the two retainer nuts (13mm from memory). The spoiler is bolted down under pressure from two large spring clips and I would suspect the frequency rattle comes from these or the spolier being slightly loose. Check the diy section on p-car.com for more information.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11055

Forgot to add, if the actual 3rd brake light is loose and rattling, then you will need to remove the spoiler and tighten the two retainer screws underneath. All-in-all should take no more than ten minutes. Brake light strip is £96 and only availble from OPC so be careful!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11057

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back