Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Warranties for older 996's ?

Julian Bolger

Hi

I am looking at warranties for my 5 year old 996. Porsche does one for £995 (plus a check is needed costing £150)

Many places cover Boxsters but not 911's (Warranty Direct for example)

Anyone know a good place to get a 996 warranty ?

J

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9589

Julian. I would say that generally, third party warantees are not worth the paper they are printed on. Keep your money and put it aside to address any problems.

A warantee from a dealer is worth more but even then you are at their mercy as to what they will pay out for. If they want to get out of payment there is usually some small print to support them.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9591

I agree with James. I've had some mixed expierences with warranties in the past. The salesman is all smiles when he sells it to you, saying things like "It'll give you three years peace of mind motoring" But when something does go wrong you try and get the sods to pay up. They will always use the "Its wear and tear" line.
<SCRIPT> window.open=NS_ActualOpen;
window.open=NS_ActualOpen;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9609

Before the maufactures warranty ran out I was offered Waranty Link (£830 1year, £1620 2 years) after this you can get Master Plus for cars 8years old/100000 miles (£995 1year, £1810 2 years) they didn't mention the £150 check. Seemed confusing and expensive to me so have taken pot luck and kept the money. Don't know whether I'll regret this latter.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9721

I purchased a 3 year old 996 with a 12 month Porsche warranty that cost nearly £1000. The only work that was done under warranty was a pre-existing paint fault that should have been rectified by the main dealer before delivering the car - instead they chose to hammer the warranty! All the other problems that I have had with the car (none serious but all in their own little way, quite expensive) have somehow(?) been dismissed as not being covered...this contrasts sharply with my previous experience of a MB warranty (from the same dealership!) where there was nothing that was too much trouble, curtesy car, taxis - the lot.

Despite many adverse comments made by other 993 contributers to this forum, I think the 996 is the best car that I have ever owned and the fact that I am still running it on a daily basis after nearly 2 years (whereas in the previous 36 years I have never kept a car longer than about 12 months) speaks volumes as far as my long suffering car-widow-wife is concerned!

If I (ever) change to another Porsche it will be checked over by an independent engineer before purchase, and I will also canvass opinions on the OPC in question before dealing with them....

--------------------------

1998/996 C2 with lots of toys

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9743

Thanks guys for all the help. I got AFN to send me a list of the things that their Warranty doesn't cover & its quite a bit.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9778

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back