Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scottish roads still tops

manek

Montreal
So off I went to Scotland in the 993 and what a fab time we had hooning round roads up on Skye and elsewhere. Empty, empty roads, loads of fast curves, tight squiggly bits, up hill and down dale -- especially the A939 and A93 over the top of the Cairngorms.

I've learnt a lot more about the car (hopefully, I'll learn more on Sunday!) and I feel I'm much more in tune with it. I loved the way that it settles into corners as you press the loud pedal, and how mid-corner bumps don't upset the line.

However, should the back end feel like it's going into pendulum mode when I take a corner fast? Is this normal -- to do with the weight distribution? And should the front end really be searching out every road imperfection? Maybe I've got the wrong tyres/pressures (34/42 psi), maybe the wheels are too small (only 16s at the moment).

Thoughts gratefully received.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5409

Also try the Isle of Man as they've got no speed limits outside the main towns.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5443

Bit small though, innit?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5481

PS: Got to 100 posts!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5482

Congratulations :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5484

Manek

Do you have a drivers manual? If so read it from cover to cover.

In it you will find that the "only" 16 inch wheels are a standard fittment option according to the Porsche manual and not therefore "too small".

The recommended tyre pressures for your high performance 911 are 36 front and 44 rear on 16 inch wheels. Normal pressures checked with cold tyres with an accurate guage not a garage forecourt one.- these pressures are not for track use.

The engine is in the back and the weight over the front is less - hence the handling characteristics. A book of Porsche road tests from the library will explore more fluently than I can the nuances of the handling of a 911.

Meanwhile you could invest in a high performance driving course and read as much as possible about your high performance car.

Oh and until you feel more confident/competant I would suggest you dont drive too recklessly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5486

OR YOU WILL END UP LIKE THIS!!

clubr043.jpg

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5495

or this!!!

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/Ex_Porsche.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5496

Thanks all for the info & pix! Hmm, haven't crashed a car yet, and I don't plan to start now...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5547

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back