Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

1981 911SC oil pressure

steve

Hi-I have owned a 1981 911SC targa for about a year now and the car has covered about 240,000km. When i bought it i noticed the oil pressure was rather low when the engine properly warmed up but was assured by the independent Porsche inspector (who i now have some doubts about) that this was not really uncommon on older cars and was not a problem. After a years driving there seems to be no deterioration in the pressure and i am generally happy with with the car apart from that bloody awful gearbox. My question is do i need to worry about the oil pressure. Typically when cold the engine oil pressure is about 1 per 1000rpm. When hot, the pressure goes down to about 0.5 on idle and about 2 for normal running. When pushed very hard the pressure rarely exceeds much more than 2 (i live in sweden and use a quality 10W40 Shell semisynthetic oil).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5011

Hi Steve. Welcome to the board.

As a rough rule of thumb oil pressure should read 1 for every thousand revs.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5013

thanks James

i know this is a million dollar question but where should i start to resolve this problem

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5018

From my experience of other cars (non-Porsche, although probably the same reasons) it'll be down to either excessive crankshaft clearances (worn bearings) or oil pump. I've seen engine with faulty relief valves causing similar problems (don't know what 911s have for this) but given the mileage on yours I'd guess it's just general wear and tear. Switching to a heavier oil may help temporarily. The only real way to resolve this is by a full stripdown, so all clearances can be checked and the items outside the recommended tolerances replaced.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5023

I have exactly the opposite, when cold my oil pressure runs very high. When the car's warmed up it does drop somewhat but runs a lot higher than 1 per 1000 revs! Is this also a bad thing?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5025

Wazza,

Sounds like you might have a dicky guage there. According to Steve McHale (boffin from JZ Machtech) a 911 engine is not capable of generating more oil pressure than about 4.25 on the guage, and as others have said here the range is generally from just over 1 at idle to just over 4 at 4000rpm plus.

As far as I'm aware there isn't particularly anything to worry about if the oil pressure is high but you do need to worry if it is low - but as I said I think it is more likely that there is a problem with the guage or with the sender unit.

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5027

Thanks, i might take a look at it sometime.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5107

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back