Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Respray advice for a 1972 Targa

adrian.robins

Hi

I have an old silver targa in need of some minor body work and a bare metal respray - any advice / recommendations and how much have people paid?? So far, I've been quoted £2.5k to £3.5k.

Has anybody used Fuchs?

Cheers, Adrian.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4625

Are you planning to strip the car yourself?

I was quoted £2K by a local sprayer to paint a car supplied to him as a restored bare shell in etch primer. Yor quotes seem low to strip a car, remove paint, repair rust, and there will be rust on a 72 car, prime, paint and reassemble.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4627

Adrian, if you anticipate that your car will need some bodywork repairs prior to a respray, you can bet your life that it will actually need substantially more work than at first thought once the old paint is stripped off.

I agree with Nick that these figures are definitely on the low side if the quotes are for stripping the car, carrying out the remedial work necessary & then reassembling the car. I would recommend that you get a quote from someone who has extensive experience of carrying out bare metal resprays on older 911/912's. Even if you don't use them, they will be able to give you a much better idea of the sort of figure it could turn out to be.

You need to bear in mind two points:

Firstly, many 'restorers' or painters will offer seemingly attractive initial quotes which rapidly escalate once they have your car in their workshop & once they realise the extent of the additional work that they uncover after they start to strip the car down.

Secondly, the cost of the respray is not the end of the related expenditure - you then have to add the cost of new door/bonnet/engine cover/windscreen seals. Then when you start to put some of the external trim back on the car, you decide that it spoils the effect of the new paint & you opt for new horn grilles, F&R lenses, F&R overriders, etc etc !

Andy

'69 911E-------->R

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4649

Perhaps better to sell yours and buy a recently restored one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4650

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back