Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 wiring loom

manek

Montreal
Hi all again

Just got an email (see below) from a dealer from whom I'd requested details about one of their 993s. What do you think of his response to my question about the loom (has it been fixed/replaced) and how recently/if the clutch has ever been replaced?

<snip>

Hi re your email we have no record of wiring loom being changed we have sold over 500 early 993s and only changed 2 looms so we do not feel it is amajor issue with 993s the clutch is very light and progressive so assume ithas been changed.

<snip>

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3123

Who is the dealer, some really don't know that much or pretend that they don't know what you are talking about in the hope that you don't persist with your questions.

I've seen your recent post and also one on Pistonheads (I assume its you) and you are right to be looking at a 993 for under £30k. All the cars for sale in dealerships/trade over £30k will depreciate faster than a sub £30k car.

If buying any 993 regardless of mileage and age you must buy on condition and history, do not assume that a trade car is in good nick.

I think that sometimes it is better to buy off an enthusiast (PCGB member) and talk to them closely about the cars history.

Most traders get their cars from either OPC's, auctions or trade ins. These cars are bought well below actual value because invariably the seller wants a quick sale or the history is incomplete or dubious. They then use their "reputation" and Insurance policies to give you peace of mind, whilst making a tidy profit to boot.

I looked at a silver 993 C2S with 29k for £35k, however the steering juddered at 105mph and at full lock and the car had no stones chips on the front! probably had a front smack, nice and shiny, looked great but didn't feel right, so I walked away.

I am looking at and will probably buy tomorrow a 993 from a private seller, 1994 60k, I have spoken to the current and previous owner and will get a PPI done to give me some peace of mind. Cost will be in region of £29k and it has all the extras I want. If a trader was selling this car it would be at least £32k.

Take your time and buy what you feel is right

Hope this helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3124

Yes, that's me on PH too -- thanks for your comments, very valuable. I'm coming round to buying privately -- I bought my last TVR that way and that's much more scary IMHO but a 993 should be much easier.

Thanks again.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3127

No worries, glad to be of assistance.

Mate of mine just got a new Tuscan S, went out for a blast, awesome, and he is still running it in!

Not my cup of tea though, too flash. Made of paper mache etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3130

Manek,

<snip>

Hi re your email we have no record of wiring loom being changed we have sold over 500 early 993s and only changed 2 looms so we do not feel it is a major issue !!

Whilst they may not feel it is a major issue, Porsche clearly did, otherwise they would'nt have issued a re-call. The OPC who did my loom replacement however, did admit that the UK was very late in getting the nod from HQ.

The OPC were brilliant though, they ran the VIN number through their computer, confirmed it had not had the replacement, all within about 5 minutes. It took a couple of weeks for them to get the necessary bits and bobs, and now its all sorted.

Overall, his response does seem a bit woolly/snowy/etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 3147

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back