Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disconnected blower

Peter Chase

I bought a 1979 SC a few weeks ago. It's in pretty good condition, generally. However, one little thing that I spotted when originally inspecting it is still bugging me.

There are a couple of loose electrical spade connectors on what I presume to be a blower motor, in the engine compartment. There is also a pair of loose sockets into which these connectors look as if they should fit.

I have not been brave enough to make this connection, because I suspect the disconnection may be intentional. In the history, there is a mechanics report "rear blower motor U/S".

The heating and ventilation actually seems to work pretty well without this blower. That's one reason why I've not fiddled with it, thus far.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me exactly what this blower is for. Also, does anyone know when these wires are supposed to be live, so I can test them?

I attach a close-up picture of the loose wires and a general view of the area of the engine compartment.

loose_wire_sml.jpg

wire_environs_sml.jpg

I also noticed that the big hose between this blower and the engine fan is a bit knackered. Is this worth replacing?

split_pipe_sml.jpg

postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2794

The blower motor provides a bit more oomph to push air through the heat exchangers into the car. I understand that the motors or fan bearings wear out and the whole assembly runs out of true. Rather than just re-connect the two connectors, I would check a circuit diagram and only then maybe connect a 12V supply direct to see of the motor turns.

I ran my car for a year without this blower and never had a problem heating up or defosting so in reality it is not a major loss.

Make sure all hoses are sealed, if only to prevent engine fumes finding their way into the car.

Al G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2818

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I will get a new hose, at least. I see that
http://www.berlyn-services.co.uk/
has "911.211.522.00 911 HEATER HOSE" for under 15 quid; is that the right thing?

Can anyone point me towards an appropriate circuit diagram for testing the blower and wiring?

Is there one in the Haynes manual and, if so, is it any good for an SC? I haven't bought the Haynes because I read some reviews that said it was too geared-up to the oldest models.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2824

I've just brought a 1980 SC with heating problems too.

The haynes manual doesn't really give much help on the heating system, but i have found a few pages that are really useful -
http://www.type-911.co.uk/exhaustparts.htm
has several information pages which describe the heating system in much more detail than the haynes manual does.

Hope it helps, i'm tackling mine this weekend so i'll find out if its any use or not!

Wazza

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2861

Thank you. This looks very useful.
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2869

The heater blower motor gives more oomph to the hot air heading to the passenger compartment at idle . I would tape up those connectors if you are not using them or plug them back in . If you want to replace your blower motor they are expensive but if you hang on and keep in touch I will be removing mine and all the attendant piping crap for good in the next few months and it will be for sale for about 50 squid .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2875

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back