Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help buying a 996

poon

Magny-Cours
I have finally succumbed to the calling of a 996, time to sell the 964 C4 (re-map, sports exhaust, lowered, cups etc). I really want a C2 with manual (no tip) and an aerokit. I have approx £40k, and seem to be able to get anything from a 98-2000 model year. Any tips for things to look out for, particular things to avoid etc. I know 964/993 pretty well but 996's are pretty new to me. Also any tips for Insurance, initial quotes seem to be in region of £1400 (33, Middlesex, garage, FNCB). Cheers.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2447

Can't help with the £40K 996 but on the Insurance front Norwich Union Direct have halved my Insurance (just on £1k for a 996 C2 cab) and saved a number of friends money. Also a really good service offered when someone drove into me at the lights! (Just in case you think its a sales ploy I don't work for them!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2463

Thanks for that, I tried them last night on the net but couldnt get a quote, think I need to ring. Talked today with a client who has a 993 targa, his brother owns a 996 c2 and reckons the ride is more sedate and "less involving", anyone else able to compare?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2470

I have just been through the same exercise shopping for my 944 Turbo Insurance - everyone was about £800, but First Point came up with £590 so I insured with them. I don't work for them either, but Stuart worked hard for me.

If you are prepared to restrict your mileage and use it as a second car, plus garage it, the limited mileage policy people may be worth a go, but it sounds like this car is not meant for that...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2801

964man? have you got a 964 and a 944? Yeah i have a Co car (C200) but the missus uses it and I need the my porker for day to day, however I am currently on a Ltd mileage (6k) but I have found that these policys are usually only available on cars over 10 yrs old. Unless anyone can find a Co willing to do it.

I was talking to the owner of a well known and respected independent porsche co and he has told me to steere clear of pre 2000 model year 996's as in 2000 Porsche made 147 mods to the engine. Pre 2000 engines are apparently unreliable and will cost me. Has anyone got any experience or more to add. Come on guys, give me some feedback good or bad, isn't this what forums are for?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2802

Poon

I was orignally looking at spending 40k, but could not find the right car, I eventually spent a lot more on a 2001 C2 Cab, figuring that both will depreciate by a similar amount. But I'd obviously be locking in a lot more cash to the car.

However I have the peace of mind of a main dealer warranty for the next couple of years, rather than expecting a big bill...

Re the Insurance, think you are right on the limited mileage jobby, I could not get it. However got my Insurance for £1400 in the end with fncb, 31 in West Sussex. Throught Bell Direct.

If you do buy from anyone other than a main dealer, get it inspected, because I found a load of dodgy porkers out there

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2809

Jim Jam, thanks for the reply, did you get a car with the original porsche warranty left or the OPC warranty? I am also coming to the conclusion that if I spend £40k I will need the peace of mind of an OPC warranty.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2811

Poon,

I used to be with Admiral who were cheap for me but not for anyone else who tried them!?I am now with their sister company elephant who quoted me happy at around £1300 for my 95 C4 with 5k per year (I was 23 with 2yrs ncb at the time).

I'd certainly try them as you can get an online quote pretty quick and do a discount of sorts for less annual mileage.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2813

Theres no reason to steer clear of 2000 engines, but if you must £45k can get you a nice post 99 C2.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2820

Sorry i meant to say pre 2000 engines.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2823

Has anyone tried Direct Line?

Norwich Union COULDN'T "QUOTE ME HAPPY" Admittedly I have mileage restriction on mine but the cost is definitely reasonable.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2830

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back