Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 steering wheel vibration

andyphilpott

Monza
Chaps

Why would the steering wheel vibrate, only on certain surfaces, under braking, generally around the 60-45mph mark. It doesn't happen all the time, but on some ocassions it is alsmost violent shuddering. I've had a four wheel alignement done and both front wheels balanced, so my only thought is that it must be a warped disk, which while minor can be affected by road surfaces. Any thoughts as the dealer does not think there is a problem, so I suspect it's one of those thing's I'll have to get done myself. Any ideas? Ta Car is 1996 Targa

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2125

Put the dealer in the car with you & make it happen!

Not sure about the 993's, but apparently the 964's can be sensitive to the wheels not going back on perfectly square which gives a feeling as if a disc is warped.

A quick check is to ensure that the mating surfaces of each wheel & hub are perfectly clean & smooth,no thick paint,corrosion or dirt buildup.

If it's under warranty, get back there and make the dealer sit up & listen, the last thing you want to happen is to experience this when you're having to deal with an unexpected problem out on the roads - a recipeforan accidentifever I saw one.

Hope you sort it out.

cheers

Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2126

Any chance it is a problem with the ABS?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2132

had a similar problem with my BMW 528 after a wheel refurb when the missus curb it. Unfortunatly did not get to the bottom of but it was improve by a very precise wheel balance by some BMW wheel technician.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2162

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back