Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic or Not?

David

Good people, i have a ceiling of 30k (would rather spend a bit less) to spend on my first 911. After plenty of web searching and magazine reading (but no actual in the flesh looking) i seem to have arrived at an early 993 C2 coupe. First of all i would like some views on my choice. Should i spend less on a better condition 964 or is the 993 simply a safer (and better) bet?

My bigger question is about the Tiptronic option. How reliable is it? How much does it affect the performance and is it any good? Does it affect price? In short, is it worth having?

Anyway, enough for my first posting. Great forum.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1824

david......
never have driven a tip.....so really shouldn't comment. depends on your style of driving and is it a daily commute with likely traffic jams, etc,etc.
but , consider this. ......i do not know of any auto box or semi-auto box or shiftronic or paddle arrangement that can compete with the pure pleasure of the relationship between manual stick, clutch, brake, brain & steering wheel.
so-for me - if it's a "press-on" type of car (and a porsche surely is) it has to be manual. but what do i know??? whatever lights your candle is good for you . So enjoy whichever. but try them both before you commit !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1834

993 every time sorry 964 owners but they do leak and they are more expensive to service. If you dont mind sitting on the wrong side you can pick up a 993 for 22k. My brother has a LHD Audi TT and swears by it, personally its not for me but still go 993 anyway.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1866

David

I went from 964 cab to 993 cab last year. Difference is unbelievable. Aesthically it cant be beaten, handling etc is a massive difference. I also ended up with tiptronic 's' (colour/styling/age/everything else was exactly what I wanted). I cant say I've missed the manual really. Regular driving through kent towns and villages is made a lot more pleasant in auto, and I do use the tip when needing a bit of input.

As with bellies comment above, I paid 23k for 80 thousand kilometer cab, for LHD, so you could save a bundle.

There's my 'two penneth' - you'll enjoy whatever you get

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1893

I'd buy a 993 over a standard 964, but a 964 RS over a standard 993 (and a 993 RS over a 964 RS).

However, if you buy a crap 993 you will wish you had an excellent 964 - don't buy a crap example of any 911. It will cost you in the long run. If need be, wait until you can afford a nice example of your chosen model.

James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1902

I'm with Hendo, I have a 993 C2 Tip, and even when I handed over the cash for it I wasn't 100% happy that I was doing the right thing! 2 months and 4K miles later, I love the Tip box. Sitting is traffic isn't an issue and when I want to play around I simply move it to full tip mode and use the switches on the steering wheel.

:lol:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2284

David

Have driven a Tiptronic (996) and have a manual 993 Cab. The difference boils down to this: The Tip is better in stop start traffic but the manual is quicker. Not sure about the performance figures on the 993 but the Porsche web site gives a slower 0 - 60 time (5.7 vs 5.2) for the Tip option on the 996. The performance difference on the 993 is likely to be higher as the 993 (Vario Ram Engine) has 280 horses versus the 320 of the 996. At the end of the day the 993 probably marks the end of the line for the true 911 sports car, the 996 being a softer more sedate, stability managed ride. Having said that, I will be buying a new 996 soon so the 993's up for sale. Drop me a line if you are still looking for a 993. Mine's a minter with only 9,000 miles on the clock (1996). By the way, the new 996 will be a manual.

Davo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2382

Davo - 9,000 miles? Did you not enjoy driving it? :eek:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2384

Davo......pictures & info please of the 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2385

Jay Jay, don't be gready, you've already got yourself a nice C4S :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2386

I'd go for the 993, I had a 964 and it felt like I was using £50 notes to plug the leaks...

Servicing costs were very nasty, even when using an independent.

It also a Tiptronic gearbox, it was wonderful and I had no problems with it, although I would not want to be anywhere near one if it did go wrong on a 964

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2565

Phil,

Love driving the 993 especially with the top down in the weather we've had lately. I bought this car off my boss who has three other cars and only drove this one during suummer and the rest of the year the car was garaged. I bought it to drive while my new 993 is on order.

Jay Jay,

Will get some photos and post asap

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2752

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back