Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo timer on 996TT

wkn996

Just got my 996TT and was told by a friend who owns a 993Turbo S that is better for my car to have a timer. Need advice on this ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1619

wkn 996,

Because turbos spin up to 100,000rpm, it is rightly considered neccesary to let the turbo slow down before you shut off the engine. If you shut off the engine straight away after a good blast, then you shut off the oil supply to the turbo, in which case there is no oil to lubricate the centre bearing and this is where the damage is done.It is advisable to let the engine tick over for a couple of minutes after spirited driving to let the turbo slow down and to let the engine oil cool also.A turbo timer is designed to let the engine run for a predetermined time after you have switched off allowing the above to happen.In my opinion you can do that job yourself by driving the last couple of miles of your journey at a sensible speed and then letting the engine run for a short while before switching off.Also i think Insurance companys can be wary of turbo timers because you are going to walk away from your car with the engine running.I think being sensible after a good blast is just as effective as any turbo timer. These are just my thoughts, but maybe others have different opinions, which is what we are here to discuss. Regards, SIMON.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1624

I have to be honest, I have never heard of a turbo timer but have heard of the approach Simon described (and used to apply it to my somewhat less impressive 200SX). I can't really see why you would need a turbo timer if you can apply the manual approach described above.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1656

I agree with Simon, it's good for the car to let it cool down properly by using a gentle driving style for the last couple of miles, it's good for the brakes too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1657

Thanx Simon and the rest of you guys. Appreciate it alot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1688

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back