Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yellow Gunk

Darren J

Hi I own a 'D' plate SSE, I checked the oil level last week and have noticed yellow gunk in the oil filler/cap. The oil on the dipstick is clean. The engine still runs fine when I take the filler cap off.

I have started doing short trips, but the car has at least an 1 hous run or 40 mile journey at the weekends if not before.

I'd appreciate some advice on the cause/cure.

I owned a 205 GTI a long time ago and that had a similar problem but I didn't care as it wasn't a Porsche !!! :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1528

Sounds like water condensing in your oil caused by not running the engine at operating temperatures for long enough. I guess the weekly hour run is not quite long enough to burn it all off. One thing's for sure, it is not coolant leaking in! The danger is that you get internal corosion of the engine. I would give the car a really long, hard run to burn it off.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1531

mine has the same thing. i use it every day (2 x 30 - 40 minute trips a day), 50% is slow traffic the other 50% fairly quick dual carriageway and country roads. it bothered me at 1st but i have clean oil, the car runs great so i stopped worrying. it only ever collects right at the top of the filler cap so i assume the rest of the tank is fine.

please let me know if this isn't normal then i can start worrying again!

steve

it's a 1986 3.2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1535

I had a 87 targa which did exactly the same and in 3 years and 50k miles no probs sold it with 120k and still going (reasonably) strong. My advice don't worry but keep an eye on the level of oil as it started to use/drop more towards the end. Also don't just use the oil level indicator as these are notoriously unreliable A nice hot engine on a flat surface and a bit of cloth is most accurate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1536

Hi, thanks for your comments. This is my first Porshe which I have owned for 5 months, which is a daily used car and you tend to worry a bit.

I always check the engine hot , like you said the indicator is a bit unreliable.

What do you get as a typical mileage ? I have kept a record and the worst is 16.8 only town driving and the best 25.4 on mostly long runs. I read soemwhere that if you were light footed you could achieve 40 to the gallon !!!

Thanks again :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1538

mileage wise - never checked before but i have done approx 110miles on the last £20's worth however that works out. don't know how much petrol is these days (optimax), just put the damn stuff in!

steve

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1543

I average around 20mpg on day-to-day running about, including going to and from work. On a run I get about 24mpg.

Marc (1990 C2)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1544

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Darren J on 19 February 2003
Hi, thanks for your comments. This is my first Porshe which I have owned for 5 months, which is a daily used car and you tend to worry a bit.
I always check the engine hot , like you said the indicator is a bit unreliable.
What do you get as a typical mileage ? I have kept a record and the worst is 16.8 only town driving and the best 25.4 on mostly long runs. I read soemwhere that if you were light footed you could achieve 40 to the gallon !!!
Thanks again
smiley1.gif
Light footed ?...god you have to be a shoalin priest practiced in the art of stepping over rice paper to acheive even 30mpg and actually drive somewhere!..of course now about ten feather footed individuals will tell me they get 45mpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1546

You may be amused by the advice at Parker's Guides:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/car_reviews/main_review.asp?model_id=20203

"A solidly engineered car with built in longevity, the 911 is very reliable, but correct maintenance is crucial; check for coolant leaks from head gaskets; replacement flywheels and clutches at 50,000+ miles can cost up to £1,500 on later cars. Cloth interiors can look tatty at higher miles. A well-kept car can be ageless, especially if you put a private plate on it. "

Coolant leaks!?? (And no, they're not talking about the 996).

Hmm, perhaps not the definitive guide to assessing your Porsche!
postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2430

******s!.....Amazing so called authorities on cars still make money out of a gullible readership .

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2431

LOL! Priceless :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2432

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back