Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

still looking

Paul

Take a deep breath and look at cars that aren't Henry's. I seems that you haven't really decided what Porsche you realy want. We started off discussing pre '73 cars, then went to SCs, now we are on late 3.2s, not sure about a Targa or a Coupe.

These are all very different cars, and as an owner of a 70 2.2E and 74 Carrera now, and previously a 77 Carrera 3.0 and a 79 SC, I've got to say even those are a very different bunch.

Maybe covering old ground, but what are the points here?

No garage. Is a targe or convertible a liability if parked in the street in London?

£10k. maybe £13K?

House in Spain, therefore need aircon, and LHD could be an advantage. Will it live in Spain or just go there on holiday?

Have you looked at a LHD convertible yet, it would be in budget?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1358

Hi Paul

You can buy mine. 1986 3.2 coupe,RHD under 100k v.original. light blue metallic full blue leather electric seats, gearbox rebuild last year (£1700) and just serviced. Needs a little body work doing but a very good car. Yours for £9500 0vno. Picture on this site.

Cheers

Keith

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1362

keith , thank you for the kind offer but i have set my heart on a Targa !

in reply to nicks points , yes you are right.......the henry fixation (!)
is only that he is near me !

the story is i like the older cars , the look is understated and like the chrome bits.....nothing more technical eally than that.....but having driven a 3.0 and f/g reg 3.2s i like the feel and performance......i have to admit i have not driven a 2.4 (71-73)........i may have to waste some time at formula fuchs to try one !

i prefer the look of the targa and the 5/50 hard/soft top whilst in london.........i would plan to cover the car on the drive which could address the ingress of water that is inevitable !

air con not such a worry re spain....all the air con cars i have had over there only really work with all the windows/sunroof closed...i would rather take the roof off !

the cabriolet is a no no really for me....i have had 2 and find them hard work.....in spain could be different admittedly , but then you get too hot and burnt

eventually i am relocationg to spain permanenetly so a targa is good there and a LHD....leather doesn't bother me

i would like a later car for the performance and then i may customise this to look the way i would like it

who knows if an old targa appears at the right price , great...if not then a later car......with a self imposed budget limitation there will always be some compromise....

so have i made up my mind ? !!!!.....i would like 3.0/3.2 for the drive that looks a little more classic , pref silver with black interior !

there i have decided....thanks for the thoughts nick.......how do you find the driving of differnet models.are the 2.4s and 2.7s fun to drive ?

we are about to go to war and these matters consume me !!!!!!

funny old world !

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1363

I had my first 180bhp 3.0 SC back in 1982 and bought the 3.0 Carrera afterwards and really appreciated the extra oomph. But of course in those day the roads were relatively empty and the the performance was useable. A couple of years later I bought a manual 1981 928S and that was a fabulous car, loads of torque and power, noise and sublime and accessable handling.

I had more pracical cars after that for windsurfing, mountain bikes and dogs. Lived in the Canaries for 6 years, had Land Rovers there, then when I came back to the UK 3 years ago with a bit of spare cash bought the 74 Carrera 2.7. The best Porsche I have owned. Superb trackday car, a screaming 7300 rpm rev limit, light weight, handling (even though it turned out to be VERY rusty and not very structurally complete). That car has been in restoration for 18 months now, and the 2.2 was bought as a non-runing basket case so I've never driven it.

I've driven 993s but never a 3.2, Carrera or 964.

If I had your situation: Living in London so outright performance is not (I pressume) a priority a torquey motor would fit, so go for the 3.2. Lots of gearchanging (however much torque you have); get a G50 box. Spain; get a LHDLooks are obviously a priority so colour and trim combo are importantClassic looks; silver or black, no spolier, Fuchs

It's great getting to spend someone elses money!! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1365

thanks nick..........i shall put the cash in an envelope tonight and send to you....just call when car is found !

no youre right though...silver body , black interior,chrome fuchs even !!.....lovely...........70's sideburns optional extra !!

got an e mail this AM of a 76 2.7 Targa that looks great and has had a considerable amount of work done....coming out at 8k , LHD,
fuchs.....gearbox overhaul/4 x new shochs/tyres/discs and new seats inside..140k miles 3 owners from new......i like the pics....

hows the 2.7 to drive........or own ?....is it not a prone to probs....
stil most would have been had by now and dealt with at 140k miles !!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1368

Paul, sorry for delay

The '76 2.7 is a completely different car from the earlier Carrera 2.7. My car has MFI (mechanical Fuel Injection) and the motor is the same as the '73 2.7 RS. The later 2.7 has CIS (electronic injection) which is more economical but drops the revs by 1000rpm and the power from 210 to 165bhp. Otherwise the car has the same brakes, g/box, interior.

At the risk of repetition get a PPI

If the car is south of Londom I would be happy to look at it for you.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1382

thanks for the info nick and the kind offer........this whole task fo finding a car is probably going to take some time but as each car apperas i learn a little more about the marque........this in itself is proving enjoyable........i feel the right car will just present itslef
and subject to a PPI i will buy it

thanks again

paul

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1383

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back