Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help with light switch please!

Craig

My light switch has collapsed internally and burnt out a little of the loom (no drama) but there is a clear plastic square tube about 4" in length that connects via spade connectors to a couple of points around the switch. This has melted. What is it? Car is LHD 86 Carrera. Please help as I cannot find it in any of my books! Thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 793

Those switches eventually burn out because all the current to the lights actually goes through the switch. When you buy a new switch (www.vertexauto.com
has best prices), you should also put in a relay so the lights are powered directly from the battery, and the switch in the cabin only activates the relay. I recently installed a head light relay in my 88 Carrera in about one hour. You may also get brighter lights becuase the current is no longer going through the damaged switch connectors. Several vendors in the US sell relay kits already wired for 911 connections and with easy to follow instrcutions, for about $20 (eg,
http://members.rennlist.com/msucro1/relaykit.htm)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 794

I recommend the Sucro Kit; I sent him $25 in notes that I had lying around from a holiday and he sent the kit to me in the UK by return. It was easy to fit and well made.

Al G

Migration info. Legacy thread was 801

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back