Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A bit of a 992 story with photos....

findtom

Nurburgring
I thought I would upload a bit about my 992 and share some photos of my new car with you. Firstly, like all new car owners, I wanted share some thoughts and celebrate my new car, (noting I can't really drive it at the moment), and that staying at home and writing on forums, having an online conversation is now a responsible (!) thing to do....

I am very lucky to have had a few 911s up to this point. I started out 20 years ago buying a Boxster and getting totally addicted to Porsche. I swapped to 911 shortly after and haven't looked back since, (although I still have an understandable soft spot for Boxster's).

I came back from living overseas last year and found a new Midnight Blue 991.2 GTS in Porsche West Londons showroom, (the day I landed), made a crazy offer and bought it. I drove it for about 10 months before deciding I quite liked the 992 and would like to custom order one for 2020. The 991.2 was promptly sold and once a deal was struck with Porsche Swindon, a 992 C4S was ordered. This is actually the first 911 I have custom ordered, so you can imagine how many times I specced, then re-specced my car before delivery. I must have driven the dealer mad with constant questions and changes, but what you see below is the result of many many hours working out what worked for me and what didn't. For example, I added and removed the stamped crests on the headrests at least 5 times. In the end I decided that although I liked them, that together with the Alcantara stamped armrest there were too many crest in the cabin if I kept them. I know, madness right...

Anyway, after lots of changes and test drives, (at least two drives at Silverstone), the car arrived.

I am really over the moon with the options. The details, that are hard to show in photos, (like the aluminium gear stub and the carbon wing mirrors) but they really lift the 992 from my previous 991.2 GTS, and that wasn't exactly a bad spec!

I haven't had much of a chance to really drive it yet. I had the run home from the dealership and one quick run a few days ago to refuel it, but not really a good chance to directly compare it to my last 911. What I will say is that so far, it is a far more refined car than the previous generation. It's quiet and smoother but is this a good thing? Well yes and no, but I will let it bed in for a few months before deciding to change the exhaust or/and maybe chipping it...

Anyway, hopefully you enjoy the photos, please feel free to send questions or just have a chat.

Stay safe,

Tom

Attachments

• _mg_3305_441.jpeg
    _mg_3305_441.jpeg
    925.4 KB · Views: 17,332
  • _mg_3306_115.jpeg
    _mg_3306_115.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17,332
  • _mg_3308_827.jpeg
    _mg_3308_827.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17,332
  • _mg_3309_172.jpeg
    _mg_3309_172.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17,332
  • _mg_3310_180.jpeg
    _mg_3310_180.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17,332
  • _mg_3311_319.jpeg
    _mg_3311_319.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17,332
Just a few more photos...

Attachments

• img_2020_793.jpeg
    img_2020_793.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17,320
  • img_2002_476.jpeg
    img_2002_476.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17,316
  • 992_carbon_mirror_766.jpg
    992_carbon_mirror_766.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17,316
  • interior_992_c4s_241.jpg
    interior_992_c4s_241.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17,056
Thanks for posting!

Great little story and the car looks superb!! I was pretty excited upon ordering my first brand new car which was a Focus RS 2 years back, that was pretty easy as there were only 5 options to choose from, a new 992 must feel pretty special, it really looks great, colour, wheels, brakes, interior, carbon, wow. Best one I've seen I think.

Really really want to go out in one, how does it compare to the 991 if you have had a chance to really experience it?

Boy, that IS impressive. Thanks for sharing, I hope the pox passes soon and yu can get out and DRIVE.. :thumb:

Cracking car ! :thumb:

Nice story Tom - thanks for sharing :thumb:

That's a lovely looking car and you've made some really good spec choices, which work well together!

How did you find the team at Swindon?

Great looking motor Tom! :worship:

I'll be looking out for you on the wonderful (not!) roads of High Wycombe! :thumb:

Thanks all for your comments. Although I haven't really "driven" this one yet I can tell you that from previous drives in 992's, that I think the capability has been widened over the 991. It's more luxurious at the top end and might offer more performance at the other, (but does that make it the better car)? What I am hoping is that the options I chose add feel as well as performance . For example, I opted for 10mm PASM, rear steer, carbon brakes and not PDCC. PDCC is amazing and works really well on a track, but I felt that not including it would add some extra "feel" as the car moves about the road. In truth its a tiny change, but I think that all the small changes will really add to the experience. Maybe... But from what I have felt so far it really works. It might be a placebo, but I think you can feel the weight difference ceramic brakes make to the steering, so that extra 5% feel is worth the cost, (to me).

How did I find the team at Swindon? Excellent, but this is my 4th car from them, so I think that speaks volumes. I think they largely have the same staff that were there 12 years ago, again I think this really says something about how the treat the people working there and their customers. As an aside, I have an electric car too, (non-Porsche) and they always let me charge it whenever I'm passing. BMW in Oxford would not let me charge there because I hadn't bought it from them...

If only Porsche built a £50k electric car.

Thanks for the feedback Tom and insight into your experiences so far.

I'm not a big fan of PDCC either, as whilst technically it pushes the performance envelope further, I agree that the 'feel' of weight transfer and how the tyres are loading up, is important to most drivers.

I purchased my car from OPC Swindon and despite the distance (a more than 200 mile round trip), I take the car back there for any work. As always, it's people that 'make' a business and the team at Dick Lovett (OPC Swindon) are just very nice people to deal with!

Pity this lockdown is preventing all of us from enjoying our cars. Maybe when it's over we might bump into each other at one of the Cylinder Club meetings?

nice write up on a wonderful looking car.I love the view over the rear haunches.
How are u finding the gear selector? Its the only thing I don't like in the interior.

Thanks guys. I agree, once the lock down is over we should all meet up! Any excuse to drive...

Great question on the gear selector. I have always liked the PDK selector in the 991 and used it frequently when turning a tight corner that meant the wheel position made it difficult to use the paddles. So I miss that a lot. I selected the aluminium version as I felt this looked and felt better than the standard version, (which it does). However, currently, it does feel too small. That said, I am sure once I'm used to it it will be fine. Looks wise, it's worth the extra cost, but its all subjective right?

Tom

Looks nice but the Chrono clock popping out of the top of the dash is a faux pas when the rest of the dash looks so good. A Stevie Wonder masterpiece :roll:

:hand: I'd be getting rid of the EU flag number plates as well. That's so last generation :grin:

That's gorgeous. Lovely colour combo and detail. Really starting to like the midnight blue. I bet it looks mint in the sunshine. :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back